reliable backup drive (2.5 internal)

Sep 24, 2018
I have been trying to research which is the most reliable drive brand and model to get because I keep getting junky drives that fail after a year or two. I have a stack of about 10 of them already. with a lot of lost information because every manufacturer claims their drives are great and rarely fail. SEAGATE you especially (f you honestly. half of them are Seagate)

anyway

I up/downgraded to SFF case and now looking to downsize everything else

so im looking for suggestions on best bang for the buck 2.5 4GB internal hard drive that I can use for my secondary drive to store all my stuff that is more reliable than 1 year of operation under normal conditions

no I'm not hard on my drives I don't game on them they rarely get used besides playing my music collection.... or reinstalling all the software when I reinstall windows etc. basic stuff nothing ridiculously hard.

Solution

If you have several different model disk dying so early, then there most be something causing it.
Heat or vibration or both will drastically shorten the life of a disk.

I am surprised, I have been using WD Red and Green for storage, for several years, at work and at home.
I have more than a dozen (12 Red / 4 Green) and none had failed yet. I had replaced them because I need more capacity. I have the Green units and two Red on...
Most reliable drive is RAID1(mirror raid) with 2 drives. If one drive fails, all the data is still on the second drive.

Sep 24, 2018
I just looked at the drive that failed and it was the WD red NAS drive that supposedly should last far past 5 years of 24/7 constant load

mine is not even 3 years old
I really don't know where to go from here. I thought it was just basic drive there but I guess I already upgraded to more reliable.. not

If you have several different model disk dying so early, then there most be something causing it.
Heat or vibration or both will drastically shorten the life of a disk.

I am surprised, I have been using WD Red and Green for storage, for several years, at work and at home.
I have more than a dozen (12 Red / 4 Green) and none had failed yet. I had replaced them because I need more capacity. I have the Green units and two Red on two desktops and the rest on a Dell & QNAP NAS units that are running 24/7.

Solution