Question Reliable place to buy used RAM?

edporch

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Never having bought used RAM before, it looks like it's going to be my only choice.
Where are some trustworthy places to buy it?
I need DDR3 1333 DIMM in 2GB for an ASUS P6T, and all I find is used but have no idea what places are trustworthy.
I don't want to use Ebay.
Thanks

Last edited:

edporch

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/83phP6/gskill-memory-f310600cl9d8gbnt

DDR3 is still out there new.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#U=3&sort=price&Z=8192002,8192004&S=1333&t=11

Buying used is buying used, no way to make it more trustworthy. Up to the individual selling it.
Thanks for the reply.
I found the motherboard I have (P6T Rev 1.01G) will only use sticks up to 2GB.
I wrongly assumed I could use 3 x 4GB sticks.
But thanks for the Partpicker link, I'll check there now that I know.

edporch

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks for the reply.
I've been checking Amazon, and the only 2GB ram sticks I find for my motherboard are more than I want to pay.

egda23

Estimable
Thanks for the reply.
I've been checking Amazon, and the only 2GB ram sticks I find for my motherboard are more than I want to pay.
I am not sure that you are entirely correct.
If you go here you find 2 lists of compatible RAM. When you compare the newest updated list to the older, you find 4GB models in the updated list (at least 2 models).
I suspect that this is related to a Bios upgrade. Here you'll find theses upgrades with several (v. 0801 and 0904) stating specifically an improve in memeory compatibility. The appearance of 4GB RAM modules could be related to that.

edporch

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I am not sure that you are entirely correct.
If you go here you find 2 lists of compatible RAM. When you compare the newest updated list to the older, you find 4GB models in the updated list (at least 2 models).
I suspect that this is related to a Bios upgrade. Here you'll find theses upgrades with several (v. 0801 and 0904) stating specifically an improve in memeory compatibility. The appearance of 4GB RAM modules could be related to that.
Thanks for the info.
I just downloaded the updated RAM list and will dig further.

Also, this motherboard is running the 1408 BIOS, which appears to be the newest one available.

Processor is an Intel core i7 920 2.67ghz

SO then off the top of my head, when this motherboard came out in 2008, did the maunal have 2GB being the largest stick it would run because that's all that was available in 2008?

edporch

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Is there a reason why you do not want to use ebay?
One potential problem with used parts is that they may not work.
Ebay protects buyers; so long as you pay with paypal, you can return a non working product.
YMMV, but I don't trust PayPal or like the way they do business, and I'm hesitant to deal with people I don't know, especially with something like this.

edporch

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
SOLVED!
I want to report that I have the system up and running for my friend who wanted to go from 6GB to 12GB of RAM.

First, thank you "egda23" for pointing me to updated lists of RAM for this board.
Second, thank you "Bob.B" for pointing me to the Crucial website.

Once it was clear I could use 4GB RAM sticks in this motherboard, I ordered 3 sticks of Crucial RAM 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 Desktop Memory CT51264BD160B off of an Amazon, "ships from Amazon" vendor overnight.
Got them for about $67 total cost.

Installed them yesterday morning and the system has been running fine ever since.
Problem solved!
Thanks to everybody who replied.

ASK THE COMMUNITY