[SOLVED] Reliable temp measurement tool?

Alright so I was using MSI afterburner to measure my CPU temps along with GPU, there a simplified real time package temp graph, and a graph for each individual cores (even logic ones, interesting).

anyways, the thing is, I downloaded HWMonitor to keep track of more data and in HWmonitor the temps shows 20c higher than afterburner on individual real cores, afterburner reads 70c max, HWmonitor says 88 max on core 0, as an example...

so i dont know wich one to trust...

Solution
Alright so I was using MSI afterburner to measure my CPU temps along with GPU, there a simplified real time package temp graph, and a graph for each individual cores (even logic ones, interesting).

anyways, the thing is, I downloaded HWMonitor to keep track of more data and in HWmonitor the temps shows 20c higher than afterburner on individual real cores, afterburner reads 70c max, HWmonitor says 88 max on core 0, as an example...

You listed everything but the CPU cooler???

I would use HWmonitor or coretemp.

Really if you use OCCT to stress the processor and use their temp it shows and your in a good safe zone their really no reason to monitor your temps all the time.

EDIT I overclock my...

dimtodim

Reputable

check cpu package temp u will se it same or few degree different

Which model cpu?

There's a descrepancy with certain model Ryzen x chips in which they will read higher than they actually are.

Unfortunately if you are looking for a reliable cpu temp that's hard to do. The internal temps are more accurate than external sensors which measure average distributed heat.

another thing is that i've set my CPU thermal protection temp to 90c, while runing cinebench R20, all cores from 0 to 7 have reached about 96c, but the package hit a max of 87, wich is what i expect from cinebench runs for a brief period of time, so now i dont know what to trust

another thing is that i've set my CPU thermal protection temp to 90c, while runing cinebench R20, all cores from 0 to 7 have reached about 96c, but the package hit a max of 87, wich is what i expect from cinebench runs for a brief period of time, so now i dont know what to trust

Package is more an average temp. Then there is a individual core temp and junction which is the hottest temp of any area.

Package is more an average temp. Then there is a individual core temp and junction which is the hottest temp of any area.

figured, but also, I suppose if a core would reach over 90 in wich is my imposed thermal limit, it would shutdown, it didnt, something doesnt feel right, but i dont know wich one to rely, I dont wanna be playing around with 80C+ daily thinking im around low 70s

figured, but also, I suppose if a core would reach over 90 in wich is my imposed thermal limit, it would shutdown, it didnt, something doesnt feel right, but i dont know wich one to rely, I dont wanna be playing around with 80C+ daily thinking im around low 70s

CPU's will thermal throttle if they get too hot. Most shut down temps are based on package. But if any one component like Tjunct get outside spec, the CPU will throttle or shut down entirely.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Really if you use OCCT to stress the processor and use their temp it shows and your in a good safe zone their really no reason to monitor your temps all the time.

EDIT I overclock my processor and let OCCT run and keep a eye on the temps a bit and if it's in a good safe area I don't even pull up a temp monitor again , I just wait a few months and check it again running OCCT to make sure everything is still fine.

Last edited:
Solution

EDIT I overclock my processor and let OCCT run and keep a eye on the temps a bit and if it's in a good safe area I don't even pull up a temp monitor again , I just wait a few months and check it again running OCCT to make sure everything is still fine.

I thought it was irrelevant in this case because its about 2 different softwares listing different readings, but its an AIO H115i platinum corsair

however i also used coretemp, and the 8 physical cores temps align with MSI afterburner, got a peak of 75 in one core highest on coretemp, and the same core reports 76 on afterburner, the average is 68, seems like the peak happens when im playing games with voxels.

and at the same time, HWmonitor reported 89 on that core, so i can assume HWmonitor is reading wrong?