relocate documents folder glitch

Fernando_11

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
So, I've just relocated all my user folders to another drive (E:\), but in the process I messed up and moved my "Documents" folder to E:\ (not E:\Documents). Now the folder is considered a drive, so I can't move it back to its original location nor move it to E:\Documents.
I'm not so familiar with Windows so, any tips?
Much appreciated in advance.

Solution
Make the new folder on c for now,
copy everything into it
redirect the shortcut in the documents library to the new folder but don't let it move the contents as it will try to move all of E drive into c.
This should swap where all new documents go.

Once its swapped to c, then try to make E:/documents your location. might help to make a documents folder on e so when you redirect it windows won't repeat what it did.

alternate is you could try system restore but I don't trust it to get it right.

Fernando_11

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

I moved the folders by going on properties, etc... I've tried to restore the location but it works as if I'd be moving E:\ to C:\User\Me\Documents, it fails and says something about "E:\System Volume Information".
And, if i try to move the location to E:\Documents, it's says it's not possible to redirect father to son.
My user folder now seems fine, but my drive (E:\) is now a mess, because all my documents go to E:\ and not E:\Documents. Also all the links and shortcuts that led to the Documents folder now relate to the drive E:\

Colif

Win 11 Master
why not manually make a new documents folder, copy everything that is on e that was in your documents folder into new one, and then redirect the documents folder shortcut to the new folder but don't let it move contents.

Fernando_11

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

Tried it, the folder I create is just a folder named "Documents", all the new documents are still going to E:\, which brings us back to the start...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Make the new folder on c for now,
copy everything into it
redirect the shortcut in the documents library to the new folder but don't let it move the contents as it will try to move all of E drive into c.
This should swap where all new documents go.

Once its swapped to c, then try to make E:/documents your location. might help to make a documents folder on e so when you redirect it windows won't repeat what it did.

alternate is you could try system restore but I don't trust it to get it right.

Solution

Fernando_11

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016

That worked perfectly, thanks a bunch! I cleared all files from my E:\ drive before doing that, just to be safe.

ps: It wasn't windows that messed this up, it was me when picking the folder to relocate (picked E:\ instead of E:\Documents.