Relocate stuff, except hard-linked files and folders

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Hi all,

Since i got an SSD, i'm trying to relocate some files and folders (temp,logsetc) to my ext.disk (which is always attached). I did this with my appdata folder as well, and used the mklink command to refer all the requests to the new location. The thing is,i've read that windows(and maybe other apps) hard-link to the original location. In particular security related request go hard-linked.
This is the reason i have copied appdata to my ext.disk, but the original data is still on the ssd as well. I'm using Win8.1

Long story short: which items are hard-linked and must be left on the real and original location? is there a way to delete everthing except hardlinked files and folders?
Thanks for the help.
If you have any suggestions regarding to SSD maintenance, feel free to post them here or PM me about it.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

Why leave them all? Because there is a chance this will create problems?
If the chance is not too big and the effects are overseeable, i'd like to keep it this way.
I can always relocate them back, can i?
Libraries are relocated as well. My SSD is 223GB in size. i have still some space left, but i'm replacing the logs and temps because of the excessive writes. A lot of programs(like chrome) store their temp and cache in appdata so i'm relocting this folder too.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 128GB drive, and the OS and all applications on it.
Stuff that lives in Libraries relocated to another drive.

Currently ~52GB used space.

It is now 18+ months old. Running 24/7. Whatever temp files Firefox and the OS write...all still goes to the SSD.
If you are worried about excessive writes, I wouldn't. After 18 months use, it has seen a total of ~5TB written to it. Torture tests have shown that 600TB written to a consumer grade SSD (the same one I have - Kingston HyperX 3K 128GB) results in zero retired blocks.
Given that use level, this drive will live longer than I will. And definitely longer than the rest of the PC.

Recent consumer grade SSD's are very reliable, and not nearly as sensitive to writes as was the case with older SSD's.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

I've heard similar stories from more people and of course there is a good chance all of it is true, but those tests are simulated and then the drivers aren't exposed to influences which aren't incalculated to the simulation. Think only of the concept of time and longterm exposure to heat(thus expansion, oxidation blabla), caused by processor load etc. Nobody ever tested if these SSD would really last that time. HDD's would last forever then, well that's not true.
You know as good if not better than me that that SSD of yours won't last till you die. ;)

And wether it will eventually kill your ssd a lot earlier or not, i can imagine performance and health will likely longer stay at top levels when precautions are taken like relocate folders where random writes take place often. And i just feel more comfortable with it. My SSD is 2 days old and has already a small TB written on it. This is not completely fair and constant because i tried to clone my system several times, because of failures in the prevous attempts, but still.
PS: sorry for poor english, it's difficult to express myself in a not-native language when those complicated things are discussed.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

okay that's good to hear, and i do not doubt your knowledge and expertise, but i'm still curious if it's possible to relocate a folder except for the hardlinked files. it'll come in handy in the future too.

imagine having two pc's but all your appdata stored on an ext drive so your progams on both pc's can use this and it's synchronized this way.

USAFRet

Titan

Research 'junction points' and 'mklink'. Personally, I think that is far more hassle than it is worth.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

I did. I relocated AppData and more using mklink, but then there's still the hard-linked files. I've got Junction link magic installed on my pc but i don't really know how to properly use it, so i thought it'd be wise to consult other people's knowledge about this.

USAFRet

Titan

Ah. Well, I've not had experience with that particular thing, so I don't know how to set it up.

bartNL

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

Maybe it's just possible with a good formed command line..