Relocating W2k OS to C partition after removing dual Boot

Hope some one can help with this. I have a W2k - W98 dual boot that I
want to turn into a W2k boot only. Removing the W98 seems fairly
straight forward, though there are a lot of files on the C partition
(1st primary partition) that are not mentioned in the KB article on
removing a dual boot.

The problem comes in how can I "rearrange" the W2k system over to the
C partition? Presently it is on the K partition (the second primary
partition. Programs are located on K, E and F partitions.

Right now this 60 gig drive has 10 partitions and I wantr to get the
number of partitions down a bit. And thus after removing the W98 I
have no use for the C partiton & thus would like to move the OS over
to it.

I have the ghost images of both the C partition and the K W2k OS
partition saved on another drive.

tia
Acc7

"acc7" <acc7@berkeley.net> wrote in message
> Hope some one can help with this. I have a W2k - W98 dual boot that I
> want to turn into a W2k boot only. Removing the W98 seems fairly
> straight forward, though there are a lot of files on the C partition
> (1st primary partition) that are not mentioned in the KB article on
> removing a dual boot.
>
> The problem comes in how can I "rearrange" the W2k system over to the
> C partition? Presently it is on the K partition (the second primary
> partition. Programs are located on K, E and F partitions.
>
> Right now this 60 gig drive has 10 partitions and I wantr to get the
> number of partitions down a bit. And thus after removing the W98 I
> have no use for the C partiton & thus would like to move the OS over
> to it.
>
> I have the ghost images of both the C partition and the K W2k OS
> partition saved on another drive.
>
> tia
> Acc7

Since Win2000 was born on drive K:, it must end its life on a drive
that uses the letter K:. This is because there are countless references
in the registry to the letter K:.

However, it is possible to run Win2000 off your first disk partition
while maintaining K: as its drive letter. Here is what I would do:

1. Save the current installation on some other disk, using one of
the many partition imaging tools.

2. While Win2000 is active, copy these hidden files from C:\ to K:\
ntldr
ntdetect.com
boot.ini

3. Edit k:\boot.in and change partition(x) to partition(1) for all
Win2000 references.

4. Run regedit and do this:
Delete HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\K:
Rename HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C: to DosDevices\K:
Do not boot into Win2000 after this step!

5. Use the partition imaging tool of Step1 to copy drive K: to the first
partiton.

6. Delete the partition that carries drive K:.

Win2000 will now run off the first partition but it will still be
visible as drive K:.

Pegasus,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I suspected as much. Your post
is a big help.

Which partition manager would be wise to use for this? Ghost can be
a bit awkward. Will it do the job needed here?

Thanks for your help

> Pegasus,
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation. I suspected as much. Your post
> is a big help.
>
> Which partition manager would be wise to use for this? Ghost can be
> a bit awkward. Will it do the job needed here?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Acc7
> >
> >"acc7" <acc7@berkeley.net> wrote in message
> >> Hope some one can help with this. I have a W2k - W98 dual boot that I
> >> want to turn into a W2k boot only. Removing the W98 seems fairly
> >> straight forward, though there are a lot of files on the C partition
> >> (1st primary partition) that are not mentioned in the KB article on
> >> removing a dual boot.
> >>
> >> The problem comes in how can I "rearrange" the W2k system over to the
> >> C partition? Presently it is on the K partition (the second primary
> >> partition. Programs are located on K, E and F partitions.
> >>
> >> Right now this 60 gig drive has 10 partitions and I wantr to get the
> >> number of partitions down a bit. And thus after removing the W98 I
> >> have no use for the C partiton & thus would like to move the OS over
> >> to it.
> >>
> >> I have the ghost images of both the C partition and the K W2k OS
> >> partition saved on another drive.
> >>
> >> tia
> >> Acc7
> >
> >Since Win2000 was born on drive K:, it must end its life on a drive
> >that uses the letter K:. This is because there are countless references
> >in the registry to the letter K:.
> >
> >However, it is possible to run Win2000 off your first disk partition
> >while maintaining K: as its drive letter. Here is what I would do:
> >
> >1. Save the current installation on some other disk, using one of
> >the many partition imaging tools.
> >
> >2. While Win2000 is active, copy these hidden files from C:\ to K:\
> >ntldr
> >ntdetect.com
> >boot.ini
> >
> >3. Edit k:\boot.in and change partition(x) to partition(1) for all
> >Win2000 references.
> >
> >4. Run regedit and do this:
> >Delete HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\K:
> >Rename HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C: to DosDevices\K:
> >Do not boot into Win2000 after this step!
> >
> >5. Use the partition imaging tool of Step1 to copy drive K: to the first
> >partiton.
> >
> >6. Delete the partition that carries drive K:.
> >
> >Win2000 will now run off the first partition but it will still be
> >visible as drive K:.

I don't use Ghost but I'm sure it can handle it. My
preferences are Acronis TrueImage or PowerQuest
DiskImage.