Remanufactured Gateway 450ROG video and/or mini-pci 802.1x..

Is this notebook upgradeable in the above mentioned areas? I was told from
the guy(salesman) that I bought it from that the unit I get will be at least
a 450X. He says its hard to tell with remans. Is the stock 32meg video card
upgradeable to something more formidable like a high-end ATI or NVIDIA card.
I thought that the entire 450 line came standard with an assortment of
consumer choosable wireless mini-pci cards. Even the base models both 450X
and 450XL. Well mine didn't, the mini-pci cover on the bottom has a sticker
on it that says, "REMOVING THIS STICKER WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTEE". I think
it very misleading that when you look at the non-remanufactured 450's they
list all of them even the base line models coming with some sort of wireless
mini-pci card. That was part of the reason I bought it, it seemed like no
matter what 450 I got it would have wireless, whether it be remaned or not.

The rest of my system has:
80gig HD
DVD+- CDRW 8X
15inch lcd
firewire, 2-usb, 10/100 etc..
WinXP Pro.256 mem PC-2100

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and responding to it!

Ty

"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message news:<OuL3d.367$nj.106@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>...
> Is this notebook upgradeable in the above mentioned areas? I was told from
> the guy(salesman) that I bought it from that the unit I get will be at least
> a 450X. He says its hard to tell with remans. Is the stock 32meg video card
> upgradeable to something more formidable like a high-end ATI or NVIDIA card.
> I thought that the entire 450 line came standard with an assortment of
> consumer choosable wireless mini-pci cards. Even the base models both 450X
> and 450XL. Well mine didn't, the mini-pci cover on the bottom has a sticker
> on it that says, "REMOVING THIS STICKER WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTEE". I think
> it very misleading that when you look at the non-remanufactured 450's they
> list all of them even the base line models coming with some sort of wireless
> mini-pci card. That was part of the reason I bought it, it seemed like no
> matter what 450 I got it would have wireless, whether it be remaned or not.

You could almost certainly install a mini-PCI card with a modem and
802.11 (assuming that the current modem is on a mini-PCI card, if not
then the mini-PCI slot might be empty,and fully available). You need
to be sure that the internal antenna was put in at the time of
manufacture, but it was pretty common to include it, and just leave
the connecting wires hanging in the area of the mini-PCI slot.

I doubt if the graphics is upgradable, it's probably AGP graphics, and
even if it's on a proprietary sub-board, rather than soldered down,
you wouldn't be able to buy or change it yourself very easily.

The refurbs are a bad deal unless they are of very recent vintage.
You're going to spend more money getting it up to the necessary level
of equipment than the difference between a new model and a refurb.
Also, you usually won't get the latest mobile processors on refurbs.
If the 450ROG was not more than $900 then it wouldn't be a bad deal,
but I don't think that they are that cheap.

Very enlightening!
Thank you very much!
Ty