Reminder: Support for Win 2K, XP SP2 Ends July

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Is this a big deal? Will lack of security updates become a security problem? I don't think it would be a problem for the near future. In our office we have 5 machines running WinXP and 4 running Win7. At home I have 2 on Vista and 2 on Win7.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Poisoner[/nom]The only thing I don't like about Windows 7 is all the back doors MS put in there for the CIA and NSA.[/citation]
Could you explain? I hadn't heard of that, and jumped on the Win7 bandwagon soon after it was released.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Is this a big deal? Will lack of security updates become a security problem? I don't think it would be a problem for the near future. In our office we have 5 machines running WinXP and 4 running Win7. At home I have 2 on Vista and 2 on Win7.[/citation]
I can see it being a problem. Hackers know that XP is still very popular. And once security support ends, they also know that XP SP2 is vulnerable. Popularity + vulnerability = potential security disaster.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Poisoner[/nom]The only thing I don't like about Windows 7 is all the back doors MS put in there for the CIA and NSA.[/citation]
Well don't do anything the CIA and NSA disapprove and you wont have any problems from them.
Really the tin foil hat isn't cool anymore, no one likes being spied on, but to expect that the everyday normal joe is being spied on is just being paranoid.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Microsoft is quickly moving to a place where they are no longer a monopoly. Why would they want to force people out of their product? Once you force them out of Win XP, you take the change that they will move to Windows 7, OS X or Ubuntu Linux. At my school, they already have triple-boot machines, and one of them is Windows XP. The Linux side can surf the web, open PDF, edit files, and print to the lab's printer. OSX I would not know because I am not a mac fun, but Office can be used on OSX.
I thought pushing people out of WinXP was a good strategy 4 years ago when Microsoft looked stronger and there was no alternative. But today, I think they could be accelerating the inevitable.
Its as if Sony decided to make the PS2 obsolete in hopes that the user-base will move to the PS3... it could work, but it could also backfire.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I have one machine I keep winxp SP3 on for some weird compatibility issues. Not many. the rest, vista and Win 7.For Poisoner: use True Crypt.[/citation]

I don't do anything illegal. In fact I run Win7 on this laptop. Its the tower that keeps Windows XP.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
If is not broken don't fixit and my XP SP2 is working fine thanks!, but anyway it reminds me that I was planning to go for for W7. But its being long with it and I feel a bit nervous to move, I have a lot of work right now and I know I want a clean install. MS wait for me body...

G

Lol

Time to go to a new slow Bloatware OS. and you have to upgrade your computer hardware so it can run this new bloatware at a slower speed.
Yea time to Downgrade to windows 7

glubox

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
my boss still uses win 2000 on his pc. not that he wants it, but his pc is 4 years old and the company won't upgrade it.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
the company plans to terminate (aka "retire") Windows XP on April 8, 2014

Regardless of your position on XP vs Vista (giggles) vs 7, everyone can agree that XP is and always will be one of (if not the) best OS MS will ever produce. Someone should burn a boxed copy of XP on that day and scatter the ashes over the ocean to give it a proper sendoff.

If you still have XP without SP3, I do not think security issues are a worry to you. Generally my systems get one OS from the day they are built to the day they die. I have no issues with my Vista/XP(SP3)/or 7 systems.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Funny since there are new devices still being sold with XP on board because 7 will not fit properly. Linux can because it is modular as is UNIX it was based from.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]You could run Win95 if you wanted.Hell, you could even go back to DOS.Anything over 8 megabytes of RAM is for rich assholes.With a new OS, higher requirements are expected, so deal with it. The fact that Win7 runs smoother and yet is more functional than Vista is because Microsoft is awesome. I only gave my fathers laptop Win7 over the copy of Vista is because the OEM package is cheap.[/citation]
You must be drunk on MS koolaid you MS troll.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Windows XP SP3 now requires hardware that Windows 7 can run on in order to be viable. Our programs these days take up more RAM than they did 10 years ago, and after the OS updates, it requires more itself. My mom got an old laptop from my brother, which has 256 MB of RAM in it. I did a clean install of the OEM XP SP2 disk. That was all well and good. Than I ran Windows Update, got SP3, and installed all the drivers for it. The thing is paging like crazy! I plan on upgrading the RAM to the maximum (2 GB) soon.

I did this with my mom's desktop computer (from 2004) as well. She used to be running 256 MB of RAM on that too, but the same thing occurred. Now it's humming along just fine at 1 GB. I could probably put Windows 7 on it but I won't because it's not worth it to her, and she doesn't want to have to relearn. But that's ok because she'll probably get a new computer to replace it soon enough, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.