remote access ATT router

tjones9163

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
Hello, I have turned it off now but when I enable remote access on my ATT router, I am able from outside my network to access my home router by typing my public ip and port 8080 into an address bar. Then it prompts me for password to get into router homepage.

Is anyone that has my public IP able to get to my password page of my home router?

Solution

Having your router externally accessible is OFF by default on almost every consumer router. For good reason.

There will be daily (at least) access attempts to get in. Just random scans. And it's not by someone who knows your public IP address...just random scans, trying all potential IP addresses.
I saw that quite often with my NAS box. Random access attempts, from all over the planet. Lisbon, Geneva, Russia, China, Ohio, Sao Paulo...

So I shut it off.

Having it ON removes one layer of protection. All you are left with is your password.

Like if you have a locked front door, and a safe with a...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Just about every consumer router available has a remote management feature. As long as it is disabled, there is no security concern. Just confirm it is disabled by trying to connect via your public IP address, and be sure your router's (local) management features are protected by a strong password.

All routers also feature DMZ, but that has nothing to do with remote management access.

USAFRet

Titan

Having your router externally accessible is OFF by default on almost every consumer router. For good reason.

There will be daily (at least) access attempts to get in. Just random scans. And it's not by someone who knows your public IP address...just random scans, trying all potential IP addresses.
I saw that quite often with my NAS box. Random access attempts, from all over the planet. Lisbon, Geneva, Russia, China, Ohio, Sao Paulo...

So I shut it off.

Having it ON removes one layer of protection. All you are left with is your password.

Like if you have a locked front door, and a safe with a combination lock.
Having the router remote access ON, you've unlocked the front door for them. Now, they have free access to try various combinations on the safe.

Why would you need to access the router settings from outside?

Solution

There are routers that do feature more security. Some feature better encryption, better firewalls, but the best choice is to disable the remote access.