[SOLVED] Remote accessing a Windows Server on home network

skgan

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Hi all,

I have a Dell R740 sever that I would like to access from outside my home network (like from work and traveling). But i don't want to expose other devices on home network to internet.
Router: Netgear Nighthawk R7000P AC2300
Server: Dell R740 with a static iDRAC IP address
Thanks in advance,
-SG

Reactions: derek wildstar
Solution
First you must have a public ip address assigned to the wan port of your router by your ISP. Note even with a publc ip it can change from time to time so you need to consider using something like dyndns.

So you can directly access the device by port mapping. Which exact ports depends on what you want to access on the machine. This will only expose that one machine but it is very common for attackers to scan for the commonly used microsoft ports and you take the risk of some bug.

A better option since your router supports it is to use a VPN server on the router. You can then load the openvpn client into your remote PC. This is the best option because there is nothing exposed other than the vpn which is very secure...
First you must have a public ip address assigned to the wan port of your router by your ISP. Note even with a publc ip it can change from time to time so you need to consider using something like dyndns.

So you can directly access the device by port mapping. Which exact ports depends on what you want to access on the machine. This will only expose that one machine but it is very common for attackers to scan for the commonly used microsoft ports and you take the risk of some bug.

A better option since your router supports it is to use a VPN server on the router. You can then load the openvpn client into your remote PC. This is the best option because there is nothing exposed other than the vpn which is very secure. It also tends to be simpler to get things to work because the remote machine appears as another device on the LAN. You need no special configurations on the machine in your house.

Reactions: derek wildstar
Solution