Remote admin to Application Server

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I have asked several people and don't seem to get a satisfactory answer.

In order to change a Windows 2000 Server from Remote Administration mode to
Application Server mode, is a licence required or fee payable to activate
it? That is, can I 'legally' just change it and activate it?

I understand CALs are required for clients to access it.

Andrew Zenz

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Yes, you can do this without additional costs.
Install Terminal Services in Application Server mode (free), install
and activate a TS Licensing Server (free).

It's the TS CALs that costs.

--
Vera Noest
http://hem.fyristorg.com/vera/IT

"Andrew Zenz" <andrewzenz@yahoo.com.au> wrote in

> I have asked several people and don't seem to get a satisfactory
> answer.
>
> In order to change a Windows 2000 Server from Remote
> Administration mode to Application Server mode, is a licence
> required or fee payable to activate it? That is, can I
> 'legally' just change it and activate it?
>
> I understand CALs are required for clients to access it.
>
> Andrew Zenz

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

Good to hear.

Thanks,

Andrew