Remote assistance/desktop

Hi

I would like to configure my workstations so that my admin team can connect
remotely to them without the remote assistance invite, to either view what a
user is doing to or to take control and assist.

Can this be set up using a GPO? If so how?

Thanks

Their is a GP setting that allows you to offer assistance without an invite.
Look under computer configuration/administrative templates/system/remote
assistance - offer remote assistance and set it to enabled. Since this is
computer configuration, the computers that you want this enabled on must be
under the scope of influence of the Group Policy. The links below offer more
detailed info. To offer Remote Assistance the helper/expert will need to
open Help and Support/Pick a Task/use Tools/offer Remote
Assistance. --Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&sd=tech
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884910 -- additional info for XP SP2

"huff-n-puff" <huffnpuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I would like to configure my workstations so that my admin team can
> connect
> remotely to them without the remote assistance invite, to either view what
> user is doing to or to take control and assist.
>
> Can this be set up using a GPO? If so how?
>
> Thanks

Hi

There's no way to just take control of a user's machine with remote
assistance. There has to be some level of interaction between the "expert"
and the "user". As Steven said in his post, there's a policy which
determines the direction from which the assistance can be offered or
requested.

HTH
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"huff-n-puff" <huffnpuff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I would like to configure my workstations so that my admin team can
> connect
> remotely to them without the remote assistance invite, to either view what
> user is doing to or to take control and assist.
>
> Can this be set up using a GPO? If so how?
>
> Thanks

see also
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826088

and

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555179.

There are some possibly useful URLs at the end of the above article.

Getting to the Offer Remote Assistance panel in Help and Suport is a bit
convoluted, so you might want to create a shortcut with this "target".

hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.