Remote assistance won't connect, hire someone to get it ru..

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. My notebook PC is connected
wirelessly to the internet via Adelphia Broadband via Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA
wireless network card and their Pre-N wireless router. My connection works
great, with download speeds up to 3000mbps. However, no matter what I've
tried (forwarding port 3389 and enabling upnp on the router, connection via
Messenger, email, or saving and sending the invitation file to the
"expert"), nothing works. BTW, the "expert" is Ethernet cable attached to a
DSL modem, with no router, wireless or otherwise, to mess up the works, so
I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end. In any case, all attempts to
start a Remote Assistance session fail, displaying following error message:

"Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
host name could not be resolved. Please try again."

To make a long story short, I give up attempting to resolve this issue on my
own. I would like to "Hire" some guru on this list to solve this problem.
Any takers?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Andy

im not an expert but this solved my problem microsoft knowledge base article
# 281307

"Peter Sale" wrote:

> I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. My notebook PC is connected
> wirelessly to the internet via Adelphia Broadband via Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA
> wireless network card and their Pre-N wireless router. My connection works
> great, with download speeds up to 3000mbps. However, no matter what I've
> tried (forwarding port 3389 and enabling upnp on the router, connection via
> Messenger, email, or saving and sending the invitation file to the
> "expert"), nothing works. BTW, the "expert" is Ethernet cable attached to a
> DSL modem, with no router, wireless or otherwise, to mess up the works, so
> I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end. In any case, all attempts to
> start a Remote Assistance session fail, displaying following error message:
>
> "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
> host name could not be resolved. Please try again."
>
> To make a long story short, I give up attempting to resolve this issue on my
> own. I would like to "Hire" some guru on this list to solve this problem.
> Any takers?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale
> Santa Monica, CA USA
> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/y5ad
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:32:14 -0800, "Peter Sale"
<psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote:

>I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. My notebook PC is connected
>wirelessly to the internet via Adelphia Broadband via Belkin Pre-N PCMCIA
>wireless network card and their Pre-N wireless router. My connection works
>great, with download speeds up to 3000mbps. However, no matter what I've
>tried (forwarding port 3389 and enabling upnp on the router, connection via
>Messenger, email, or saving and sending the invitation file to the
>"expert"), nothing works. BTW, the "expert" is Ethernet cable attached to a
>DSL modem, with no router, wireless or otherwise, to mess up the works, so
>I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end. In any case, all attempts to
>start a Remote Assistance session fail, displaying following error message:
>
> "Remote Assistance connection could not be established because the remote
>host name could not be resolved. Please try again."
>
>To make a long story short, I give up attempting to resolve this issue on my
>own. I would like to "Hire" some guru on this list to solve this problem.
>Any takers?

I added the Zone Alarm firewall to the mix, disabled the Windows XP Pro SP2
firewall, and somehow that got Remote Assistance working for me. In any
case, I will surf on over to http://tinyurl.com/y5ad and take a look. Many
thanks.

--
Regards,