Question remote connect alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Are there any reliable and very powerful remote connection options out there aside from Teamviewer?

Back in 2005, Teamviewer worked great for me but this past summer when I was abroad it was absolutely horrible. It limited me to five minutes sessions and then kicked me off. I will admit that I was unable to use the latest version of Teamviewer because of my old iPad but I'm not sure if that matters. I'd like a more reliable option to connect securely. Windows RDP isn't advanced enough from what I remember trying it a long time ago.

I use Windows 10 Pro but I will use my iPad to connect to my desktop.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you have consistent issues with Teamviewer like you described (which is worth checking, it could have been a fluke) then virtually anything is better.

"Better" and "best" are entirely subjective when asked without any specific parameters. What I might love you could hate.

Like I said, for Win10 to Win10 I love Quick Assist and it meets the needs I have on those occasions when I need it. It may not do the same for you, but it's free, so there's nothing to lose but the time to explore it a bit and form your own opinion.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I can also report zero issues with Teamviewer when I was using it extensively a little more than a year ago.

Hence the reason I recommend testing out how it's behaving now if you know you liked it. All technologies, and particularly remote access, can experience burps.

lowmd2

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I was just in China last month and had this issue with Teamviewer. I will say though that I asked around and someone mentioned this:

"Doesn’t it largely depend on whether or not traffic can penetrate the great firewall? I’m speaking specifically in regard to Teamviewer’s gateway IPs/location. "

I don't know if they are recommending that I connect to a VPN first and then connect to Teamviewer or something else.

I will say that I just downloaded the latest Teamviewer version and haven't had it reset yet. I let it sit there for about 10 minutes and it was fine. But then again, I'm not in China yet and the above-mentioned concern might trigger the same issue I had last month in China.

Also, I've still been searching potential options and I found this link:

I also need to mention that I will be using an Ipad to connect to my Windows 10 desktop. I think that makes a difference and I should have mentioned this earlier.

From the link above, it seems like VNC could work if I can find a very good guide to help me set it up quickly.

@britechguy : I looked into Quick Assist and that might work for my laptop to connect to the desktop but not for my iPad unfortunately, unless I'm missing something. Also, this option requires another person in front of my desktop. That isn't an option for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.