Question Remote Connection Help When Computer Is Off

Dec 7, 2022
Hello, I am looking for a way to remotely connect to my Linux laptop even when it is not on. I would like a safe and secure connection interface that requires a password and has some high encryption standards. Thank you for your answers!

Last edited:
Hello, I am looking for a way to remotely connect to my Linux laptop even when it is not on. I would like a safe and secure connection interface that requires a password and has some high encryption standards. Thank you for your answers!
The only way you can do this is to have a VPN setup on your router so you can access your internal network from anywhere and use Wake-On-LAN with your laptop. Note that your laptop will have to be connected to the LAN via Ethernet cable and not WiFi for this to work. https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/turn-on-computer-from-across-the-house-with-wake-on-lan

Well this is one tricky one. I'd suggest using some desktop sharing tool that is always on, but that also may be unsecure solution (at least use good encryption and strong password) and then maybe you can use Wake-On-LAN from this "proxy" computer. Maybe not a good solution, but at least to avoid the need of a router.