Question Remote connection issues/other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2021
Hello,

I am very new to this type of thing, i have worked with computers in the past but never networking type things. What I am trying to do is to remote connect to my other pc, via ethernet connection, for the times when i am doing resource intensive rendering, and just because it would be cool.

My main computer is a windows 11 pro os.
the other is windows home.

they are connected via a usb to ethernet adapter and a crossover ethernet cable

I contacted microsoft and they advised me that as long as the computer im using is pro i should have no issue remote connecting, well they were wrong.

I tried adding the remote functions manually per the instructions microsoft sent me and it took but still no connection. my computer sees the connection, and i can access the files but no remote.

I dont know if this issue is related or part of why its not working but when i look at my ethernet connection from pc to pc it always says connected no internet and unidentified network. when i run trouble shooter this is what it says:

Windows Network Diagnostics Publisher details Issues found "Ethernet 4" doesn't have a valid IP configuration"Ethernet 4" doesn't have a valid IP configuration Not fixed Not Fixed Investigate router or broadband modem issues Failed Reset the "Ethernet 4" adapter Completed Issues found Detection details 6 "Ethernet 4" doesn't have a valid IP configuration Not fixed Not Fixed Investigate router or broadband modem issues Failed If you're connected to a hotspot or domain network, contact the network administrator. Otherwise: 1. Unplug or turn off the device. 2. After all the lights on the device are off, wait at least 10 seconds. 3. Turn the device on or plug it back into the power outlet. To restart a router or modem that has a built-in battery, press and quickly release the Reset button. Reset the "Ethernet 4" adapter Completed This can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem.

The error I get when attempting to remote is this:

Remote Desktop cant connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons:
  1. Remote access to the server is not enabled
  2. The remote computer is turned off
  3. The remote computer is not available on the network.

expanded details show:

Error code: 0x204
Extended error code: 0x0

please remember i am VERY new to network troubleshooting, i dont know how to configure things like ip adress or if that would even work but would love to learn, i like troubleshooting and learning new things but fear that this instance i am just not experienced enough or knowledgeable enough to figure this out on my own.

Why do you have them connected via a cross over cable. Would be simpler to plug them into a router

Without a router to give your machines IP addresses you have to manually set the IP addresses on both interfaces. That is what no valid IP configuration likely means.

Note Cross over cables are no longer needed and many times the port will drop to 100mbps if you use one. Modern equipment all has ports with a feature called MDI/mdix that will figure the cable out.

Windows Home cannot be remoted into using RDP. You will either have to upgrade it to Pro, or use third-party tools like VNC, even TeamViewer / AnyDesk.

There's an obscure way to remote into Windows Home using Microsoft' Quick Assist, but it needs actions from both sides - WinHome creates an invitation, somehow sends it to the other PC, when accepts the connection request.

Status
Not open for further replies.