[SOLVED] Remote connection or virtual machine?

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
I am on a linux host and I do a lot of work in a Windows 10 virtual machine.
Virtual machines by nature have a little bit of lag and latency to them. Mine is working pretty good, but still.
I was wondering, what if I remote into a physical Windows 10 computer running on my home LAN network? Will that be better or worse or the same?

Solution
If it's your home LAN network, it should be the same though personally I've found that remote access tends to have a slight bit of lag, most people don't notice things while others can tell that the mouse is flinching across the screen.

The best course for you would be try it out and see if you like it(i.e, remote access).

Lutfij

Titan
If it's your home LAN network, it should be the same though personally I've found that remote access tends to have a slight bit of lag, most people don't notice things while others can tell that the mouse is flinching across the screen.

The best course for you would be try it out and see if you like it(i.e, remote access).

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Better, worse, the same.

Could be any of those. One is not inherently better than the other. They are for different purposes.
Remoting in to a crappy Win 10 box, over a crappy connection...worse.
But presumably that Win 10 box is elsewhere, doing other things. You'd remote into it for some management task. Then log out and let it continue doing whatever it was doing.

A VM with not enough resources? Poor response.
Solution - get a beefier host.

VMs are good for having multiple 'systems', but only one physical box.