[SOLVED] Remote Connection to my PC?

Jul 19, 2020
In about 5 days I am going on a holiday. And I will bring a laptop with me. The first issue. My laptop is [censored] :| and I don't wanna buy a new one every 5 years just to have it with me on a couple of holiday trips away from home. But what I do know is that I will upgrade my PC.

My desktop is pretty good for modelling or simple simulations. So the plan is very simple: I will connect to my PC remotely . A full foolproof solution to a hard problem. So I tried out connecting to my PC remotely from one network to a different one. It worked, actually better than I expected but I don't expect that a hotel apartment will have a 70 MB download and upload connection.

%%%WARNING%%% this might be a stupid question I can't tell until I get somebody's opinion on it. Is there any other way to connect to my PC then over the internet. Is there some sorta hardware component that could allow me to do that ¯\(ツ)/¯.

Solution
It all depends on the application. Getting connected generally is done via some form of VPN but you can use things like teamviewer or other similar services if you can not get vpn to work.

Still all networks suffer the same problems being the bandwidth and the delay. To work well the application must still completely run on your home machine with your remote machine acting pretty much as a simple remote keyboard/mouse/monitor. It does not work well for example to actually use the CPU on the remote machine to process data that in on the central computer.

You also have to be careful about applications that need high resolution graphics especially with high frame rates.

This is why people doubt they will ever get cloud based...
It all depends on the application. Getting connected generally is done via some form of VPN but you can use things like teamviewer or other similar services if you can not get vpn to work.

Still all networks suffer the same problems being the bandwidth and the delay. To work well the application must still completely run on your home machine with your remote machine acting pretty much as a simple remote keyboard/mouse/monitor. It does not work well for example to actually use the CPU on the remote machine to process data that in on the central computer.

You also have to be careful about applications that need high resolution graphics especially with high frame rates.

This is why people doubt they will ever get cloud based gaming to work. High resolution video with high frame rates uses too much bandwidth. You would have to massively compress the data which must reduce the quality. There is also the keyboard and mouse delays but that is mostly a gaming issue and does not affect most other remote desktop stuff.

You can if you are very careful still display hi resolution images but it would be more something like photoshop editing. This is extremely dependant on the remote desktop software you are using and its ability to send screen images.

It is pretty limited you really need to think of this as some form of old mainframe computer that you press go on the remote machine and then wait for the results. That is the type of application that works best.

Solution