Remote Control of PC

Hi,
I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.

In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
CinciDave

One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...

If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel
for added security...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"CinciDave" <CinciDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
>
> In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> CinciDave

Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow I must have defined a password which I
cannot recall. Since I am the only user and this is a local network, how can
I either find the password or eliminate it entirely?
--
CinciDave

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel
> for added security...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "CinciDave" <CinciDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> > wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> > files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> > other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
> >
> > In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> > CinciDave

I checked setup to make sure that no password was indicated on either of my
PC's.
Still the remote access connection requests a password. Any further
suggestions?
CinciDave

"CinciDave" wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow I must have defined a password which I
> cannot recall. Since I am the only user and this is a local network, how can
> I either find the password or eliminate it entirely?
> --
> CinciDave
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...
> >
> > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
> >
> > If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN tunnel
> > for added security...
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >

> > "CinciDave" <CinciDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> > > wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> > > files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> > > other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
> > >
> > > In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> > > CinciDave

Logon as the Administrator and change the user password...

--

> Thanks for the suggestion. Somehow I must have defined a password which I
> cannot recall. Since I am the only user and this is a local network, how can
> I either find the password or eliminate it entirely?
> --
> CinciDave
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> One way is to use XP Pro Remote Desktop...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>
>> If you do this over the public internet I suggest running Remote Desktop through a SSH or VPN
>> tunnel
>> for added security...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "CinciDave" <CinciDave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
>> > wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
>> > files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
>> > other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
>> >
>> > In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
>> > CinciDave

ATEC

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

CinciDave wrote:
> Hi,
> I wish to access and run my main PC from a remote PC. Both are on a
> wireless local network and I can connect to each from the other and transfer
> files. I am running (up-to-date) XP pro on both. I have seen this done on
> other networks, but have no clue about how to accomplish this on mine.
>
> In advance, thanks for help and suggestions..............
> CinciDave
http://www.realvnc.com/

Rupert

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You must use accounts with passwords to be able to use Remote Desktop. ie
You need to add a password to each of your logon accounts-they do not have
to be the same