gerokoenig

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018
I want to built a workstation to be remote controlled via wide area network. I need reliable remote KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) control. The system is for realtime audio and graphic rendering and needs high performance like a 16 core processor e.g. Intel core i9. I identified Intel AMT as a possible solution. I But I can hardly figure out which chipsets support this technology and what would be a sound configuration with processor and network card. I do not necessarily want to build a server because of the price performance relation, I just need a strong workstation which is switched on and off temporarily.

One store offered a configuration with
Mainboard: MSI MPG Edge WIFI Intel Z690 So. 1700 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i9 12900K 16 (8+8) 3.20GHz So.1700 WOF

But then I found some information that Mainboards with 1700 socket do not support vPro (the brand umbrella for AMT tech). I would appreciate some advice how to figure out a valid system configuration or even another solution to my problem.

For "remote control via wide area network", you have two options (depending on OS you will install):
  • using TeamViewer-like application (client sitting you the workstation, connecting to intermediate server waiting connection);
  • direct connection using VNC/RDP/X-Server/etc. For this, you will need a VPN server running on your router.

I can't tell anything about the rest of your requirements. But if you want "real-time performance", you would not care about vPro being fully supported or not, as you are not going to run virtual machines.

gerokoenig

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018
Thanks for your reply. The realtime communication runs on another level using highly sepcialized protocols like Open sound control and vst plugins for realtime audio transfer. The remote control is more for switching on and off and KVM maintenance stuff. The reason I was thinking about AMT is because of its reliability to do so. I had the prejudice that wake on WAN is not a reliable option and not compatible with a workstation which is per default configured to never "sleep" if it is running (as I have hardly experiences with this being highly dependant on this feature).

And after further considerations: to build my own little server offering realtime interactions even to anonymous users (of course without remote KVM access) would be a very interesting option. So I could go with server hardware (XEON e.g.) and then AMT could be onboard as default.

Last edited:
I want to built a workstation to be remote controlled via wide area network. I need reliable remote KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) control. The system is for realtime audio and graphic rendering and needs high performance like a 16 core processor e.g. Intel core i9. I identified Intel AMT as a possible solution. I But I can hardly figure out which chipsets support this technology and what would be a sound configuration with processor and network card. I do not necessarily want to build a server because of the price performance relation, I just need a strong workstation which is switched on and off temporarily.

One store offered a configuration with
Mainboard: MSI MPG Edge WIFI Intel Z690 So. 1700 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i9 12900K 16 (8+8) 3.20GHz So.1700 WOF

But then I found some information that Mainboards with 1700 socket do not support vPro (the brand umbrella for AMT tech). I would appreciate some advice how to figure out a valid system configuration or even another solution to my problem.
Have a look at this: