Remote Desktop, can't Connect

I am trying to set thing up such that I can access my home computer from
work and vice versa. I am trying this for the first time. I have never
successfully connected from over the internet. If I take my laptop home, I
can connect from desktop to laptop and vice versa using the local ip
addresses of my home network.

Here's the environment:

Home:
-Desktop w/ XP Pro, set with a static IP address
-Desktop bone is connected to the Linksys wireless router bone via cable
-Router set to forward port 3389 to the static IP address of the desktop
-Internet broadband connection has a static IP address or at least hasn't
change in a week.
-To reduce security errors, I temporarily unchecked my firewall on the
router and the desktop
-I set up the local users on the desktop as Remote users

Work:
-Laptop w/ XP Pro set with a static IP address
-Laptop bone connects to the Linksys wireless router bone via WiFi g
-Router set to forward port 3389 to the static IP address of the desktop
-Internet broadband connection has a static IP address
-To reduce security errors, I temporarily unchecked my firewall on the
router and the desktop
-I set up the local users on the laptop as Remote users

Using PORTQRY tool, I get the message:
"TCP port 3389 (unknown service): FILTERED
portqry.exe -n 209.xxx.xxx.x -e 3389 -p TCP exits with return code
0x00000002."

From what I've read, this indicates a potential firewall issue, but I've
turned all firewalls off...

From Remote Desktop I get the error: "The client could not connect to the
remote computer. blah blah blah..."

Oh yeah, and I can't ping the IP address of the home from work or vice
versa. The ip address I am trying to ping is the one that displays when I go
to www.whatismyip.com... Is that the correct one?
Very frustrating....

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Well, it seems to come down to a port forwarding issue with the home router since you can access the
home PC from your laptop over your home LAN and the PortQry tool is reporting a failure from a
remote location...

What router are you using at home?
Is it running the latest firmware?
Is TCP Port 3389 being blocked outbound at the office end?

If you try this from another remote location, ie. a friends house or a local wireless hotspot for
example, can you connect to the home machine.

Yes, the IP reported by the whatismyip site is the correct one to use...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Chad Richardson" <chad@NIXSPAM_chadrichardson.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set thing up such that I can access my home computer from
> work and vice versa. I am trying this for the first time. I have never
> successfully connected from over the internet. If I take my laptop home, I
> can connect from desktop to laptop and vice versa using the local ip
> addresses of my home network.
>
> Here's the environment:
>
> Home:
> -Desktop w/ XP Pro, set with a static IP address
> -Desktop bone is connected to the Linksys wireless router bone via cable
> -Router set to forward port 3389 to the static IP address of the desktop
> -Internet broadband connection has a static IP address or at least hasn't
> change in a week.
> -To reduce security errors, I temporarily unchecked my firewall on the
> router and the desktop
> -I set up the local users on the desktop as Remote users
>

> Work:
> -Laptop w/ XP Pro set with a static IP address
> -Laptop bone connects to the Linksys wireless router bone via WiFi g
> -Router set to forward port 3389 to the static IP address of the desktop
> -Internet broadband connection has a static IP address
> -To reduce security errors, I temporarily unchecked my firewall on the
> router and the desktop
> -I set up the local users on the laptop as Remote users
>
> Using PORTQRY tool, I get the message:
> "TCP port 3389 (unknown service): FILTERED
> portqry.exe -n 209.xxx.xxx.x -e 3389 -p TCP exits with return code
> 0x00000002."
>
> From what I've read, this indicates a potential firewall issue, but I've
> turned all firewalls off...
>
> From Remote Desktop I get the error: "The client could not connect to the
> remote computer. blah blah blah..."
>
> Oh yeah, and I can't ping the IP address of the home from work or vice
> versa. The ip address I am trying to ping is the one that displays when I go
> to www.whatismyip.com... Is that the correct one?
> Very frustrating....
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chad

Thanks. It now works. I couldn't ping it because the "Block WAN Anonymous
Internet Requests" feature was enabled. I then downloaded the latest
firmware for my router (Linksys WRT54G v2).

So it now works from Home to Office. I will now try from Office to Home.

Thanks for the input.

Chad

> Well, it seems to come down to a port forwarding issue with the home
> router since you can access the home PC from your laptop over your home
> LAN and the PortQry tool is reporting a failure from a remote location...
>
> What router are you using at home?
> Is it running the latest firmware?
> Is TCP Port 3389 being blocked outbound at the office end?
>
> If you try this from another remote location, ie. a friends house or a
> local wireless hotspot for example, can you connect to the home machine.
>
> Yes, the IP reported by the whatismyip site is the correct one to use...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Chad Richardson" <chad@NIXSPAM_chadrichardson.com> wrote in message
>>I am trying to set thing up such that I can access my home computer from
>> work and vice versa. I am trying this for the first time. I have never
>> successfully connected from over the internet. If I take my laptop home,
>> can connect from desktop to laptop and vice versa using the local ip
>> addresses of my home network.
>>
>> Here's the environment:
>>
>> Home:
>> -Desktop w/ XP Pro, set with a static IP address
>> -Desktop bone is connected to the Linksys wireless router bone via cable
>> -Router set to forward port 3389 to the static IP address of the desktop
>> -Internet broadband connection has a static IP address or at least hasn't
>> change in a week.
>> -To reduce security errors, I temporarily unchecked my firewall on the
>> router and the desktop
>> -I set up the local users on the desktop as Remote users
>>

>> Work:
>> -Laptop w/ XP Pro set with a static IP address
>> -Laptop bone connects to the Linksys wireless router bone via WiFi g
>> -Router set to forward port 3389 to the static IP address of the desktop
>> -Internet broadband connection has a static IP address
>> -To reduce security errors, I temporarily unchecked my firewall on the
>> router and the desktop
>> -I set up the local users on the laptop as Remote users
>>
>> Using PORTQRY tool, I get the message:
>> "TCP port 3389 (unknown service): FILTERED
>> portqry.exe -n 209.xxx.xxx.x -e 3389 -p TCP exits with return code
>> 0x00000002."
>>
>> From what I've read, this indicates a potential firewall issue, but I've
>> turned all firewalls off...
>>
>> From Remote Desktop I get the error: "The client could not connect to the
>> remote computer. blah blah blah..."
>>
>> Oh yeah, and I can't ping the IP address of the home from work or vice
>> versa. The ip address I am trying to ping is the one that displays when I
>> go
>> to www.whatismyip.com... Is that the correct one?
>> Very frustrating....
>>
>> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Chad

Chad,

Can you tell me how you set yours up?

I am having problems with my router (same as yours) when I go to RDC all I
get is the diagnostic screen even with the remote turned off

Thanks

> [...]
>>> -Router set to forward port 3389 to the static IP address of the desktop
>>> -Internet broadband connection has a static IP address
>>> -To reduce security errors, I temporarily unchecked my firewall on the
>>> router and the desktop
>>> -I set up the local users on the laptop as Remote users
>>>
>>> Using PORTQRY tool, I get the message:
>>> "TCP port 3389 (unknown service): FILTERED
>>> portqry.exe -n 209.xxx.xxx.x -e 3389 -p TCP exits with return code
>>> 0x00000002."
>>>
>>> From what I've read, this indicates a potential firewall issue, but I've
>>> turned all firewalls off...
>>>
>>> From Remote Desktop I get the error: "The client could not connect to
>>> the
>>> remote computer. blah blah blah..."
>>>
>>> Oh yeah, and I can't ping the IP address of the home from work or vice
>>> versa. The ip address I am trying to ping is the one that displays when

That sounds to me like you have remote administration on the router enabled? Is that the case?

--

"Jason Henley" <jason.henley@blueyonder.co.uk.spam> wrote in message
> Chad,
>
> Can you tell me how you set yours up?
>
> I am having problems with my router (same as yours) when I go to RDC all I get is the diagnostic
> screen even with the remote turned off
>
> Thanks

hiya,

No this s turnec off.

If i internally run rdc from my laptop (not via internet) i can connect with
no probs.

As soon as i am using the net then this is where the problems begin

> That sounds to me like you have remote administration on the router
> enabled? Is that the case?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Jason Henley" <jason.henley@blueyonder.co.uk.spam> wrote in message
>> Chad,
>>
>> Can you tell me how you set yours up?
>>
>> I am having problems with my router (same as yours) when I go to RDC all
>> I get is the diagnostic screen even with the remote turned off
>>
>> Thanks

So you have port forwarding setup for TCP Port 3389?

http://www.portforward.com/linksys/wrt54gv2-portforwarding.htm

To check that go to this site on the PC you want to connect to, ie. the Remote Desktop host and see
if the test passes...

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Are you running the latest firmware on your Linksys?

--

"Jason Henley" <jason.henley@spam.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> hiya,
>
> No this s turnec off.
>
> If i internally run rdc from my laptop (not via internet) i can connect with no probs.
>
> As soon as i am using the net then this is where the problems begin
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> That sounds to me like you have remote administration on the router enabled? Is that the case?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Jason Henley" <jason.henley@blueyonder.co.uk.spam> wrote in message
>>> Chad,
>>>
>>> Can you tell me how you set yours up?
>>>
>>> I am having problems with my router (same as yours) when I go to RDC all I get is the diagnostic
>>> screen even with the remote turned off
>>>
>>> Thanks

Hiya,

Port is opened and forwarded to computer

latest firmware 2.07

Still no joy
> So you have port forwarding setup for TCP Port 3389?
>
> http://www.portforward.com/linksys/wrt54gv2-portforwarding.htm
>
> To check that go to this site on the PC you want to connect to, ie. the
> Remote Desktop host and see if the test passes...
>
> http://www.canyouseeme.org/
>
> Are you running the latest firmware on your Linksys?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Jason Henley" <jason.henley@spam.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> hiya,
>>
>> No this s turnec off.
>>
>> If i internally run rdc from my laptop (not via internet) i can connect
>> with no probs.
>>
>> As soon as i am using the net then this is where the problems begin
>>
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> That sounds to me like you have remote administration on the router
>>> enabled? Is that the case?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>
>>> "Jason Henley" <jason.henley@blueyonder.co.uk.spam> wrote in message

Ok...then it probably gets down to an addressing issue from the remote site...

Are you calling the correct public IP of the router when you test from the remote location?

--

> Hiya,
>
> Port is opened and forwarded to computer
>
> latest firmware 2.07
>
> Still no joy
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> So you have port forwarding setup for TCP Port 3389?
>>
>> http://www.portforward.com/linksys/wrt54gv2-portforwarding.htm
>>
>> To check that go to this site on the PC you want to connect to, ie. the Remote Desktop host and
>> see if the test passes...
>>
>> http://www.canyouseeme.org/
>>
>> Are you running the latest firmware on your Linksys?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Jason Henley" <jason.henley@spam.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> hiya,
>>>
>>> No this s turnec off.
>>>
>>> If i internally run rdc from my laptop (not via internet) i can connect with no probs.
>>>
>>> As soon as i am using the net then this is where the problems begin
>>>
>>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Yep, this opens the diagnostic menu of the router.

> Ok...then it probably gets down to an addressing issue from the remote
> site...
>
> Are you calling the correct public IP of the router when you test from the
> remote location?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Jason Henley" <jason.henley@blueyonder.co.uk.spam> wrote in message
>> Hiya,
>>
>> Port is opened and forwarded to computer
>>
>> latest firmware 2.07
>>
>> Still no joy
>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> So you have port forwarding setup for TCP Port 3389?
>>>
>>> http://www.portforward.com/linksys/wrt54gv2-portforwarding.htm
>>>
>>> To check that go to this site on the PC you want to connect to, ie. the
>>> Remote Desktop host and see if the test passes...
>>>
>>> http://www.canyouseeme.org/
>>>
>>> Are you running the latest firmware on your Linksys?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>
>>> "Jason Henley" <jason.henley@spam.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

I suggest you post to the Linksys forum over on the DSL Reports site for help since it appears to be
a router issue...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

Good luck...