Remote Desktop Connection disconnects

Barry

I have used XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection for about a year now to work
remotely from home. Both my home and Office PC's are XP Pro - fully patched.
I have a DSL line at home and connect to our company's network through their
VPN line. Then I take over my computer with Remote Desktop. Just recently I
started loosing the Remote Desktop connection (not the VPN connection) about
once or twice an hour. What could be causing this? I have made no changes to
either system. Thanks.

Barry

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:22:02 -0700, "Barry"
<Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have used XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection for about a year now to work
>remotely from home. Both my home and Office PC's are XP Pro - fully patched.
> I have a DSL line at home and connect to our company's network through their
>VPN line. Then I take over my computer with Remote Desktop. Just recently I
>started loosing the Remote Desktop connection (not the VPN connection) about
>once or twice an hour. What could be causing this? I have made no changes to
>either system. Thanks.
>

>Barry
Wife, Kids, Housekeeper? <G> Happend to me :/
Stupid RDC host does not post a "In Use" on the Login Screen.

Were you activly interacting with the host when the connection was
lost?

What device manages the VPN connection at the host end?
, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

Barry

Hi Steve:

It wouldn't be the wife or kids. I'm connecting to my office computer. I
dial into the network using a VPN connection and just lose the connection at
any time - sometimes in the middle of typing a word or sometimes it's while
the computer is inactive. I'm convinced the problem is with the remote
(home) computer. I recently did install MS updates to the computer for the
first time in a while. I was thinking it could be the security center or
firewall maybe, so I just yesterday didabled both and for the last hour I was
working I did not lose my connection. Only time will tell.

"Steve Urbach" wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 05:22:02 -0700, "Barry"
> <Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have used XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection for about a year now to work
> >remotely from home. Both my home and Office PC's are XP Pro - fully patched.
> > I have a DSL line at home and connect to our company's network through their
> >VPN line. Then I take over my computer with Remote Desktop. Just recently I
> >started loosing the Remote Desktop connection (not the VPN connection) about
> >once or twice an hour. What could be causing this? I have made no changes to
> >either system. Thanks.
> >

> >Barry
> Wife, Kids, Housekeeper? <G> Happend to me :/
> Stupid RDC host does not post a "In Use" on the Login Screen.
>
> Were you activly interacting with the host when the connection was
> lost?
>
> What device manages the VPN connection at the host end?
> , _
> , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
> , | )erek No JUNK in my email please
> , ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
> , / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 05:01:02 -0700, "Barry"
<Barry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Steve:
>
>It wouldn't be the wife or kids. I'm connecting to my office computer. I
>dial into the network using a VPN connection and just lose the connection at
>any time - sometimes in the middle of typing a word or sometimes it's while
>the computer is inactive. I'm convinced the problem is with the remote
>(home) computer. I recently did install MS updates to the computer for the
>first time in a while. I was thinking it could be the security center or
>firewall maybe, so I just yesterday didabled both and for the last hour I was
>working I did not lose my connection. Only time will tell.

Sounds like I should "knock on wood" :)

My XPro patches are up to date, but I only play "remote IT guy" for
short periods of time. Just long enough to monitor the status of A/V
updates and to apply patches.

Since you were active on the keyboard, it doesn't sound like a power
save mode kicked in.

Do you have UPS on both the computer and ALL the Network components?
A power blink might knock down the network, which will reconnect, but
the RDC might not recover.

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped? http://www.grid.org

I had the same problem. XP Pro as Clients, win 2003 as a Terminal Server.
Not all of the clients, just selected ones get droped frome time to time...
I am still looking for a solution.

Leo