Remote Desktop Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.terminalserver.misc (More info?)

I am looking for some ideas on how to troubleshoot an RDC problem. I can
ping the Terminal Server and I know its not a license related problem
however, I cannot connect. I receive the generic cannot connect error. It is
from a windows 2000 professional laptop with no firewall. Other machines on
the network can connect.

Any ideas would be a great help.

Donald Franklin wrote:
> I am looking for some ideas on how to troubleshoot an RDC problem. I can
> ping the Terminal Server and I know its not a license related problem
> however, I cannot connect. I receive the generic cannot connect error. It is
> from a windows 2000 professional laptop with no firewall. Other machines on
> the network can connect.
>
> Any ideas would be a great help.

Just as a test I would open a command prompt and try to do a telnet
session to the server in question using port 3389. That is the port RDP
uses to communicate. Like this "telnet <servername or ip> 3388".

That should cut things down to basics. If all works like it should, you
should get a blank command prompt window (basically like just doing a
clear screen command). If not, it will just sit there at the command
prompt displaying the command you just typed until it times out.

cwebster0801 wrote:

> Donald Franklin wrote:
>
>> I am looking for some ideas on how to troubleshoot an RDC problem. I can
>> ping the Terminal Server and I know its not a license related problem
>> however, I cannot connect. I receive the generic cannot connect error.
>> It is
>> from a windows 2000 professional laptop with no firewall. Other
>> machines on
>> the network can connect.
>>
>> Any ideas would be a great help.
>>

> Just as a test I would open a command prompt and try to do a telnet
> session to the server in question using port 3389. That is the port RDP
> uses to communicate. Like this "telnet <servername or ip> 3388".
>
> That should cut things down to basics. If all works like it should, you
> should get a blank command prompt window (basically like just doing a
> clear screen command). If not, it will just sit there at the command
> prompt displaying the command you just typed until it times out.

Check my syntax... "telnet <servername or ip> 3389" should be the
correct command... typo in my part... :)

nooneyouknow

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I have been working through the unsuccessful Remote Desktop Connection issue for the last 6 hours and finally solved the problem. (At least on my system.) My problem system was running Windows Server 2003. I triple checked all my Remote Desktop Connection settings, verified the relevant services were running, and tried all of the ping tests with successful results. Everything was setup and should have been working perfectly but I still couldn’t connect to the system from any of the other systems on my network. I decided the next logical step would be to try and verify that the Remote Desktop Connection components were not corrupted. So on a whim I tried to connect to the problem computer with Remote Desktop Connection from the problem computer itself. (If you do this on a Windows Server 2003 System and the attempt is successful, your current Windows session show be uninterrupted. If you try this on a Windows XP machine however, and the attempt is successful, you will be logged out of your current windows session. Either way it should help in determining if the RDC components are valid and if your settings are correct.) I was able to successfully establish a Remote Desktop Connection. This was surprising to me. My thoughts then went to a firewall\port issue. In the Control Panel I went to the Windows Firewall and then the Exceptions Tab. For some reason the Remote Desktop Connection was unchecked. I checked it making Remote Desktop Connection an Exception to the Windows Firewall rules, click OK, and the problem was solved.

I was having a similar problem, not being able to remotely connect to a laptop running XP. Ping did not reply either. From the laptop, though, I could connect to any other pc in the network (ping replied as well).
The issue was from the antivir settings (I have kaspersky). Changed settings to allow RD.

Also, don't believe Remote Desktop (right click "my computer" -> properties, remote tab) settings. Uncheck "allow users to connect remotely to this computer", click apply, then check again the checkbox and ok. Works now :)

Just a Friend

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Make sure your Local Policies have not been changed. Click Start, Run, secpol.msc. Expand Local Policies and click User Rights Assignment. In the right pane, double-click Allow logon through Terminal Services. make sure that Administrators and Remote Desktop Users are listed.

Note - If you're on a domain, check group policy since it overrides local policies.