Remote Desktop Connection - Router Configuration help

Mildred3

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Please help... I am trying to set up a remote desktop connection via the program installed in my new desktop computer. I was able to access my desktop from my laptop while in the same location (at work), but cannot access the desktop computer from home. I have worked my way partway through the article

Allow Remote Desktop connections from outside your home network

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/allow-remote-desktop-connections-from-outside-your-home-...

But got stuck on configuring my router. The step I'm stuck on tells me to Forward TCP port 3389 to the destination computer's IP address. To do this I have to do the following: In the router's configuration screen, look for a place to turn on port forwarding (also called port mapping). I cannot find this! I'm certain this is a simple fix but I'm stuck. My router is a Motorola NVG510 (ATT Uverse...not my choice).

I have contacted support through both my ISP and HP and both have told me they can help me for a fee :/

Google is your friend:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/NVG510/Remote_Desktop.htm

With that said, windows remote desktop is not secure worth a crap, and using default port of 3389 is easy pickings for hackers as well. If this is for personal use and not business I would look at teamviewer which at least encrypts the data stream.

The other issue you will run into with remote desktop is that if you do not have a static (always stays the same) ip address (usually you have to pay extra for this), then in a week or two when this changes you will not be able to connect agian remotely until you either go home and lookup what it is now or call someone who is there to look it up.

supasieu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

I would contact your IT department, if not look into Logmein hamachi or Teamviewer and set up with unattended access or Chrome Remote Desktop.