remote desktop connection

I have windows 2000 server with Service Pack 3 and my workstation all
running windows xp pro with no service pack. My work's server is a domain
controller and which contains the active directory. All my workstations are
on a domainI enabled remote desktop and I even portfwd 3389 on my linksys
wired router. I even made all the workstation that i worked on have a
static LAN DHCP address. The internet works and i even see our map drives
work. I even check remote desktop exception in the default windows firewall
that came without service packs 1 and 2. I even check to allow remote
desktop to happen in System Properties remote tab.

We have a static WAN address which is connected the linksys router. My
linksys router has the static WAN IP address option, and filled in the
correct IP address, default gateway, DNS server, and the correct subnet
mask.

Anyhow my problem is my latop at home which connected to my wireless router
does not connect via remote desktop to my work's pc.

The funny thing is i can use remote desktop client and type my static WAN IP
address at my collegue's workstation and it works. Once I leave my LAN
connection at work, it does not work.

When i try to ping <ip address or DNS>my work WAN IP Address from my home
DSL it is timed out. But when I try to ping my work's STATIC WAN IPS from
my workstation or any of my collegue's workstation at work it gets a ping.

Ankit Shah <AnkitShah623@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have windows 2000 server with Service Pack 3 and my workstation all
> running windows xp pro with no service pack. My work's server is a
> domain controller and which contains the active directory. All my
> workstations are on a domainI enabled remote desktop and I even
> portfwd 3389 on my linksys wired router. I even made all the
> workstation that i worked on have a static LAN DHCP address.

This is a contradition in terms. A LAN address can be static, or it can be
DHCP: it cannot be both. If you have allocated static addresses, then make
sure that they have been selected from outside the range of the DHCP
allocation pool of the router. For instance a Linksys router by default
uses .100 to .150 as its DHCP pool. You can allocate static addresses from
the range .2 to .99

> internet works and i even see our map drives work. I even check
> remote desktop exception in the default windows firewall that came
> without service packs 1 and 2. I even check to allow remote desktop
> to happen in System Properties remote tab.
> We have a static WAN address which is connected the linksys router. My
> linksys router has the static WAN IP address option, and filled in the
> correct IP address, default gateway, DNS server, and the correct
> subnet mask.
>
> Anyhow my problem is my latop at home which connected to my wireless
> router does not connect via remote desktop to my work's pc.
>
> When i try to ping <ip address or DNS>my work WAN IP Address from my
> home DSL it is timed out.

A Linksys router will not reply to ping or traceroutes unless you configure
it to disable "Block WAN requests". The location of this configuration
option depends on what model of Linksys router you have: it is usually
amongst the Advanced settings.

A possibility is that the "WAN address" that your Linksys has is not in fact
a public IP address, but is subject to firewallling or Network Address
Translation further upstream. You might need to check with your IT admins
or your ISP.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk