Remote Desktop Performance Very Poor after SP2

i've used remote desktop frequently prior to installing SP2 to connect to my
work computer and it worked very well, almost as good as being at the
physical computer.

after installing SP2, i can connect to my work computer, but the response
time from any user interface action on my part is extremely poor (clicking
or dragging with the mouse, typing text, etc.).

in fact it's so bad it's unusable, if anyone has experienced this and has a
solution please share it.

i've tried turning off the firewall, no change.

thanks,

rich

Are you clear that this effect isn't related to load on some segment of the
network connecting your client machine to the host?

I've not seen this at all, and have used RD extensively between SP2 machines
both today and other days.

I'm not discounting the evidence of your senses--nor the messages here from
folks who've found RD apparently broken after SP2--just trying to pin things
down a bit more.

"Richard Mesagna" <rmesagna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i've used remote desktop frequently prior to installing SP2 to connect to
> my work computer and it worked very well, almost as good as being at the
> physical computer.
>
> after installing SP2, i can connect to my work computer, but the response
> time from any user interface action on my part is extremely poor (clicking
> or dragging with the mouse, typing text, etc.).
>
> in fact it's so bad it's unusable, if anyone has experienced this and has
> a solution please share it.
>
> i've tried turning off the firewall, no change.
>
> thanks,
>
> rich

bill,

i questioned this myself, especially since i was trying this out over the
weekend and was wondering if something was going on at my work computer or
network to cause this that i wasn't aware of. when i returned to work i
found everything in order.

i did discover that a temporary workaround i tried for another issue i have
a post on did unexpectedly resolve this problem also. i was experiencing a
slow startup when i booted my pc which was related to dhcp and the
assignment of a private address by apipa.

as a workaround i tried manually configuring my ip address which cured the
slow start up problem. another side affect of this was that i noticed i no
longer had this message that i had limited or no connectivity on the local
area connection, something new with sp2.

for some reason i was curious if this had some affect on this problem with
remote desktop i'm reporting. sure enough my remote desktop now works just
fine as it did with sp1. this is great, but i'm still not clear on what the
underlying issue is here. there must be something to it as i see a lot of
posts regarding network connectivity issues after sp2.

rich

"Richard Mesagna" <rmesagna@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i've used remote desktop frequently prior to installing SP2 to connect to
> my work computer and it worked very well, almost as good as being at the
> physical computer.
>
> after installing SP2, i can connect to my work computer, but the response
> time from any user interface action on my part is extremely poor (clicking
> or dragging with the mouse, typing text, etc.).
>
> in fact it's so bad it's unusable, if anyone has experienced this and has
> a solution please share it.
>
> i've tried turning off the firewall, no change.
>
> thanks,
>
> rich

There will be lots of posts referencing SP2. So far, my unofficial balance
has about half of them actually unrelated to SP2, and the other half real,
many of which I don't have an answer for.

Yes, SP2 definitely tries to make network troubleshooting simpler--those
messages you noted are a part of that--the same conditions may have existed
before, but now they are called out in a way that you can spot and take
action on.

For RD to work, you would have needed to have a valid IP address. An APIPA
address can be valid in a small workgroup with all other machines allocated
by that same mechanism, but, in an environment where there's a DHCP server,
it is usually a sign of trouble.

So--I'm not sure what the underlying issue is, either. The DHCP versus
manually configured addressing is something you should solve--the timeout
waiting for DHCP is long enough to be annoying at boot time, and while
manually configuring may work, it can also cause conflicts and problems in a
network where DHCP is supposed to be doing that job.