[SOLVED] Remote desktop Security

networkmage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2015
Hi, I use a remote login application called TeamViewer that uses TLS instead of Port 3389 RDP on Windows, to remote into my home computer.

The problem is, I do this from the Library on an open Wifi connection, but also on a VPN (ProtonVPN)

I concluded, that I should be safe since I have a double layer of defense (the VPN tunnel, the Library's segmented subnet for every user, and the TLS in the remote PC login).

So my question is, seeing as I am paranoid, I am doing some personal transactions while remote-logged into my home computer, and am wondering if this is not such a good idea. If anyone has some experienced insight, that would be great. I dont see how I can be compromised, especially with the VPN tunnel.

My router at home is an asus with good security protocols, and the home computer is hardened, as well as my laptop I use at the library.

Thanks

Solution
Who are you worried about. Team viewer is fully encrypted via HTTPS. If you consider this to be crackable you likely should not use computers. You can use the vpn to hide the fact that you are using teamviewer but I do not see a lot of value.

The highest risk of team viewer is that all your data passes between the 2 sessions at the company. This is fully open and you are dependent on their ability to keep this data secure from both hackers and their employees.
Who are you worried about. Team viewer is fully encrypted via HTTPS. If you consider this to be crackable you likely should not use computers. You can use the vpn to hide the fact that you are using teamviewer but I do not see a lot of value.

The highest risk of team viewer is that all your data passes between the 2 sessions at the company. This is fully open and you are dependent on their ability to keep this data secure from both hackers and their employees.

Reactions: networkmage
Solution

networkmage

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2015

Thanks for the reassurance.