Remote Desktop Web Connection v5.2 - Updating the client

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

We've enabled RDP with SSL using a Windows 2003 SP1 server configured with
the lastest msrdp.ocx - version 5.2 - which supports SSL (specifically TLS).

We've tested it with Windows 2K and XP clients and it works great - the only
problem is that some of our remote clients already have a previous version of
the remote desktop web connection installed. When this is the case and they
connect to our website (e.g. http:\\server\tsweb) the web page does nothing
when they click 'connect' (a error on page is displayed in the status bar of
IE) - we have to manually remove the old remote desktop web connection (from
%WINDIR%\Downloaded Program Files) to allow them to install the newer 5.2
version.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way that we can "force" an update of
their remote desktop web connection ActiveX control when they connect to the
server if they happen to have an older version installed.

Note that these clients are not under out administrative control so we can't
use any sort of package distribution method via a login script or SMS or GPO.

Thanks!

Hi there,

yes you can actually install the active x control into your website, so that
the site will automatically check to ensure the clinet has the latest
version before allowing them to proceed. You simply place the .cab file
behind the browser so if they do need to install this is handled
automatically by the tsweb site.

check this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/termserv/termserv/remote_desktop_web_connection.asp

Regards