Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:

> Here's the setup. I have a VPN connection from a Windows XP Pro
> machine to a Windows XP Home machine. I want to remote desktop into
> the XP Home machine.

This is not possible. XP Home does not support the serving of Remote
Desktop connections. You need the Pro version to be a Remote Desktop
server.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Robin Walker [MVP]" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in news:dclak5$po1$1
@scorpius.csx.cam.ac.uk:

> Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>> Here's the setup. I have a VPN connection from a Windows XP Pro
>> machine to a Windows XP Home machine. I want to remote desktop into
>> the XP Home machine.
>
> This is not possible. XP Home does not support the serving of Remote
> Desktop connections. You need the Pro version to be a Remote Desktop
> server.

Thanks.

Any idea what the "terminal services" service is for?

Ron

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
> "Robin Walker [MVP]" <rdhw@cam.ac.uk> wrote in news:dclak5$po1$1
> @scorpius.csx.cam.ac.uk:
>
>> Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's the setup. I have a VPN connection from a Windows XP Pro
>>> machine to a Windows XP Home machine. I want to remote desktop into
>>> the XP Home machine.
>>
>> This is not possible. XP Home does not support the serving of Remote
>> Desktop connections. You need the Pro version to be a Remote Desktop
>> server.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Any idea what the "terminal services" service is for?

Can't really answer this question, but for your main problem, check out
RealVNC (or any of the other VNCs). Works well for XP home and pre-XP Win
operating systems.

Hang in
ron

Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:

> Any idea what the "terminal services" service is for?

Maybe for "Remote Assistance".

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Terminal services has to be running on XP Home for Remote assistance to work.
--
Nill

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote:
>
> > Any idea what the "terminal services" service is for?
>
> Maybe for "Remote Assistance".
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Good evening,

There error message you are receiving:

> with Remote Desktop Connection I get "the client could not connect to
> the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the
> computer might to be too busy to accept new connections."

You will normally receive this message if the Remote PC has system standby
set to shutdown after so many minutes. If the PC is in standby mode,
everything is in a dormant state and therefore you are not able to remote
into it.

The resolution for this is go into the Power Options within the Control
Panel and set the System Standby to Never. Hit the Apply button and the OK
button.

This will take care of your issue.

-C M Adams