Remote Desktop won't work after upgrading to Win 8.1 Pro

stivesstu

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
After upgrading to Win 8.1 the remote desktop connection from my vista laptop in my home network won't work. Failing to fix it I downgraded to Win 8 and it worked instantly. Upgraded again to Win 8.1 and like before it won't work. The Workgroup network is fine and both PC's can see each other and swap files via explorer while applications such as PS3 media server, Teamviewer, etc work fine. The RD client app for Android connected fine with Win 8 but also won't work with Win 8.1.

It would seem to be a Win 8.1 permissions problem except that my Comodo logs show it blocks all TCP attempts to connect to RD port 3389. I've set global rules to allow this through but nothing stops Comodo blocking it. I've uninstalled Comodo (using the Comodo forum's removal tool), made sure Windows Firewall is off but RD still won't get through. The Vista machine shows the connection out (mstsc.exe) to port 3389 is allowed but Currports and Process Explorer on the Win 8.1 machine seem to show no activity at all. I'm confused...something's blocking it (my dd-wrt router?) but if there's nothing getting through how come Comodo can see the connection and alert that it's blocked? Has anyone else had this problem or can offer any help?

Thanks

Well I can't speak about Vista since I have not used it for quite some time. But My Windows 7 laptop has not problem with RD connecting to my Windows 8.1 Desktop rigs or visa versa. I have not updated my laptop to Windows 8.1 yet although I plan to just have not had the time. Sorry I know that is not much help all I can say I have no added security on my rigs other than Windows Defender or MSE,on my laptop and RD works great.

stivesstu

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I do agree that Vista is getting old but it worked fine before and I would have thought the Android app should be okay. But I can see Comodo is blocking that as well. When I turn Comodo off the app takes a little longer trying to connect but still eventually fails. For sure, Comodo is doing something but I still don't think it's entirely a Comodo issue. The puzzling thing with all this is that as far as I can see no settings have been changed. All I did was upgrade. I've done it 3 times. Each time Win 8 worked and Win 8.1 doesn't. Weird. It might be a bug in Comodo so I'll ask the forums there as well as here. Cheers

stivesstu

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I finally fixed the problem (and a heap of others) with a system refresh. Not as easy as it sounds or should be. Currently there's no way to refresh or reinstall a retail version of Windows 8.1 because you need a full copy of 8.1 to make the relevant changes. For some reason Microsoft aren't officially providing one but you can get an evaluation copy after fooling the MS site into letting you download one. There's plenty of links on the web how to do that. Once I got the full copy of Win 8.1 everything worked fine.

Actually, I'd recommend downloading the win 8.1 ISO just in case, otherwise if Win 8.1 goes belly up you'd have to install Win 8 and then upgrade to Win 8.1. With the disc you can install Win 8.1 straight off.

blehgblah

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

This is still an issue. Reinstalling the entire operating system and starting over from scratch is not a solution. I'm experiencing this issue on all three of my macs, but on neither of my android phones. What's the deal? Is it that RDC needs to be updated for Mac?

DotComGuy

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

bottmanakers

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Same thing happened to me and it turned out the network mode changed to public after the upgrade. I changed it to private and it works once again. To do this mouse over to the right of the screen and click the "Settings" charm, click "Change PC settings", "Network", "Connections", then select your network connection. Now turn on the the switch under "Find device and content". That's it!

photodude

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

I don't have a solution but this is what I have observed. I'm away from home... my home computer has windows 8 pro my laptop has windows 8.1 pro and I also have an android 4 tablet. I cannot connect remote desktop to my home computer from my laptop at all.. but I can use an android rdp client and it connects fine. I think it's something in Windows 8.1 as it keeps telling me I have the wrong credentials.

stivesstu

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Just thought I'd post an update on this. I don't really have a solution except to advise anyone with the same problem and flaky unrelated errors to save their effort and refresh their system. Not the greatest advice I know. I had to reinstall Win 8.1 five times after getting random (often different) errors each time. In the end once it installed correctly everything worked as it should - and still does. I think some of these errors are simply not fixable. I wasted a lot of time trying to pinpoint the problem and reconfigure stuff. All pointless. Nothing to do with comodo, Windows Firewalls, RDC, etc - just a bad install.

stivesstu

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Photodude,

I had exactly the same problem. The worst thing about it is that the errors don't make sense, some things work and others don't when they should, and so the exact problem is hard to narrow down. I tried a dozen different fixes and got nowhere until I eventually managed a good reinstall. But you're right, it definitely is a problem between Win 8.1 and Win 8 and I think it occurs on the machine that's upgraded.

cowbynit

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
I just wanted to drop my two cents in here. I have been having the same trouble connecting via RDP remotely after the upgrade. yougetsignal.com constantly said the port was closed. I realized something was wrong with the settings in Windows when I couldn't even remote in locally. Well, my solution was this: As for everything in windows 8 there are two locations to do virtually the same thing. We have the PC properties/settings window and then we have the PC info app. Well, instead of managing your network adapters via the Windows 7 way; pull up the charms bar drop down to settings, click your network icon, then select "view connection settings" at the top, then in the PC Info Ap you should see the network adapter, click that and on the next page there is a little slider that says "find devices and content. Turn this on! Bam, instant RDP access. You can test at yougetsignal. I turn it off and nothing is listening on 3389, turn it on and sure enough RDP is open.

hope this helps.

maryfig

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
bottmanakers solution of changing back to private from public network worked for me-Only difference for me was that I had to let the 8.1 Homegroup trouble shooter apply the fix, I could not do it myself as he described.

Deep Halder

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Check this link-- it fixed the problem for me.. all u need to do it change the sound option to 'do not play' under advance settings> local resources) http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2014/12/fixed-remote-desktop-connection-stopped-working-error-windows-8-1/

Feb 1, 2015
FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVING ISSUES WITH REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTIONS - PLEASE READ!!!!

In a recent discovery not mentioned in details from the Microsoft Website, I just want to clarify that anyone not using Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Professional Editions, Ultimate Editions, Enterprise Editions and/or Media Center Editions will not be able to Remote Access any machine that is running the Standard Editions of the Windows OS!!!!
This is cross platformed across all editions primarily!

EX: Windows 8.1 Pro <---- Windows 8.1 (The Pro Edition can connect to the Standard Edition but not in reversal and only as assistance!)
Windows 8.1 ---><--- Windows 8.1 (Will not allow for Remote Access)
Windows 8.1 Pro <----> Windows 8.1 Pro (Inbound/Outbound connection successful across the RDP as both machines are using an exclusive version of the Microsoft Windows OS)

Just remember, to enable through-port to both machines; it is advisable that you are running Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise, and/or Media Center Edition OS in addition to the Windows OS........ A Standard Edition is only accessed on an assistance basis only and will not allow access to remotely control the machine unless the machine in control is running an upgraded version of Windows OS.

It is imperative to resolve, that the extended editions of any and all Microsoft Windows OS be upgraded and this should clear up the many users out there that are having issues running Remote Desktop on there machines.

Also be sure that port 3389 is open within your routers configuration tables for PORT FORWARDING as this will cause issues if the port 3389 is in closed method!

Hope this resolves many of your issues!
Have a great day and good luck!

Pteropus

Reputable
May 1, 2015

Thanks cowbynit! The right answer for me, in my case affecting a VPN connection. Saved me many more hours of head-scratching. Much appreciated.

andrean

Reputable
May 31, 2015
hi guys!

have tryed everything in this article - no success :( but FOUND THIS article:
here is some real workaround.

Resolved: Port 3389 is not being listened on Windows 8
http://port135.com/2014/01/10/resolved-port-3389-is-not-being-listened-on-windows-8/

main idea is that RDP port 3389 isnt listening on target win8 machine :(
so workaround is to install some other rdp client and port 3389 becomes active!

Enjoy!
:)

andrean

Reputable
May 31, 2015
actually more good advice!

Try to follow these steps:
4. Go to: http://stascorp.com/load/1-1-0...
5. Download the package
6. Extract it with 7-Zip
7. Run install.bat

http://stascorp.com/load/1-1-0-63
https://github.com/binarymaster/rdpwrap/releases

this RDP Wrapper Library v1.5 will make windows 8 start to listen on port 3389 so that RDP starts to work fine! :)

Enjoy!
:)