[SOLVED] Remote power switch for PC

Aug 14, 2022
I recently purchased this remote control power switch for my PC as it is located in an inconvenient place. The cable is only 4 ft. long however. I thought I could extend it by using an HDMI extension cable (that's only the connection they use--no video), but this did not work. Are there different HDMI specs? Would another HDMI cable extender possibly work? Is there another solution with a longer cable? All of the ones I've found have been pretty short (6 ft. max). I seem to remember another thread on here where someone said they extended the cables of a similar product by soldering an ethernet cable, but I can't find the thread. Any other solutions?

Solution
You would have to use a multimeter and check what pin of the HDMI or VGA connector goes to which connector from the mobo and then wire up a HDMI or VGA cable according to that.
They do show it on the amazon page but it's going to be hard to figure it out only from the pic.
A VGA plug is much much easier to work with, both to meassure and to solder, so I would go with that.
81uAdwHdBTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Aug 14, 2022
I believe that would work. Thank you. But what I was trying to avoid was the wires directly attached to my motherboard without an easily detachable connection. I found another one that with a different connection type (VGA) but this one also did not work with an extension according to a review.

You would have to use a multimeter and check what pin of the HDMI or VGA connector goes to which connector from the mobo and then wire up a HDMI or VGA cable according to that.
They do show it on the amazon page but it's going to be hard to figure it out only from the pic.
A VGA plug is much much easier to work with, both to meassure and to solder, so I would go with that.
81uAdwHdBTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Solution
Why not make it wireless ? Use something like this and set BIOS to restart after power loss.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Status-SRE...remote+control+sockets&qid=1671612062&sr=8-13
But you would have to shut down windows unsafely every time and that will cause problems, up to making the system unbootable.
(Also if you go for something like that then get one that is wifi and connects to your phone, you might lose the remote but a android device is always at hand)
You need a remote power button for the PC so you can put the system into hibernation and then you can use a remote power plug to completely turn off everything if you want to.

Aug 14, 2022
Thanks for the responses. I may go wireless as I do not need remote access to the PC, it's just inconvenient to walk behind the desk to turn the PC on. I prefer wired connections but wireless may work if I simply have to walk behind the desk if the remote battery runs out. I probably need 10 ft. of cable. Here is my space (when it was clean) :p The issue is I don't like squeezing myself between the speakers, stepping on cables, etc. that are back there. Not pictured is a large rackmount case where the PC resides behind the desk.
Studio-2021-No-Me-scaled-1.jpg