Question RemotePC

Apr 19, 2019
I need to gain access to my business partner’s computer. Unfortunately, he is at death’s door and unable to talk. His wife took his office computer home before I even knew he was sick. It turns out; he used the company computer for all their personal business as well. I have an Acronis backup but have been unable to recover that to a new computer, so I thought about just accessing his computer remotely. I’m pretty sure I can talk her into this. Is it easy to install? I might be able to go to their home and install it, or she may offer if it is super easy.

Questions:

1) Would you recommend RemotePC over the competition? I know they have a free version and this would be the only PC I would need to access.

2) Is it easy to install? Is there anything I need to know to be sure I get it right the first time?

My goal is to get everything I need off of it, but I fear it will take time to sort it all out. Both computers are Win 10.

Thank you for any help!

If you are actually at the computer, it should not take long to get files out of it, just logon to his account and copy the My Documents, Favorites and Desktop folders out. Odd that he was using the work computer for personal work, that is just asking for trouble. We have had people keep their "important pictures" on work computers that ended up being wiped. And using a work computer this way also increases the chances of viruses. What if he moved some infected file from his home to the work computer and now you have your work systems infected? Need a bit more professional setup if you like having your systems working properly.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are going to the house it will be far easier to take a drive with you of an appropriate size and get what you need transferred to it.
There may also be legal ramifications so much as if it is company property, blah blah but not sure you would want to go through that with the sick mans relatives.

Go over with a card, some flowers, and perhaps a dinner for her, a portable drive and sit and talk for a while as the download transfers.....might also suggest to take that opportunity to delete any work sensitive material from it as well.

Can you please check if RDP is enabled on your partners`s PC so that you can access it remotely.

Regards,
Joe

Its not that easy... he also needs to open the port in the router/firewall and make sure it is enabled in the local windows firewall. Plus it is not very secure due to the fact it is using port 3389 by default and everyone scans for that port externally.

He is better off using something like LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, TeamViewer etc... all easy installs and it doesn't require opening ports.

To OP:

What happened with the Acronis image that is preventing you to use that backup? Did you try a universal restore on another PC or something and it failed? Why dont you just open the backup set via Acronis mounting and just do a file copy of the items you need off the backup and onto another PC or drive? Just copy the Acronis backup to any system that has Acronis and right click on it, then mount the backup and browse for the items you need. Done and Done.