Remotes for Smart Bulbs?

Skeet81

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
OK, so I noticed Philips Hue has remotes that you can use as regular light switches. Awesome if you thought about all this before kitting out with another brand of Smart Bulbs.

I did not however look this far into it before installing loads of TCP smart bulbs. They work great but I can't find any kind of remote for them that would allow them to function like normal bulbs from a switch... I can find smart switches that are designed to make regular dumb bulbs smart. That's great but will still cut the power to the smart bulbs...

So am I searching for the wrong thing here? Can't seem to find anything akin to the Philips hue remote that will function with hubless bulbs? Can I bodge together some kind of WiFi button that will communicate with Alexa and replace my light switches with it? Is there something like this that already exists? Just want something I can stick on the wall that will not work like, but function the same as a regularlight switch. Hope you know what I mean...

I can't tell of off-the-shelf solution, but hobbyist around the world play with microcontrollers like Arduino, and small computers like Raspberry Pi to do similar stuff. So, I'd start with researching what protocol your smart bulbs are using, and whether there are ready-made libraries supporting that protocol. An Arduino/RPi is next to play with, checking whether you can write an app to control these bulbs. Finally, a "remote" paired to your Arduino/RPi controlling the app controlling the bulbs.

Skeet81

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I have echo's. Is there a way to make some sort of control panels, so by pressing a button on the control panels it will basically issue a command to the echo/alexa?