Removable Storage not showing in My Computer

aheldth

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hello,

I have a video camera and an external hard drive, both of which I wish to connect to my laptop. I had originally tried with the external hard drive a few weeks back but after not managing to get it to work I gave up in the end! Now i have a video camera with coursework which I need to download onto the laptop but seem to be experiencing the same issues.

After connecting the device to the USB port, it appears in My Computer for a maximum of 5 seconds before disappearing. I checked in Device Manager and found it in there with a big red X next to it. After clicking the enable button the device appeared in My Computer but again it only stayed visible for 5 seconds before vanishing once again - I have the same problem with both the hard drive and video camera. I know the problem is not with the USB ports as have a keyboard and mouse attached and its not the hardware either. I have tried countless times to enable the device and restart the laptop but still no luck!

I use a company laptop as i work from home and unfortunately at the moment i do not have a personal laptop so pretty stuck at the moment! Before sending my laptop back to my company I thought I would post this on the off chance that someone could offer some assistance.

Thank you,

Alex

aryanbamne

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

yes its not usb issue and nor its a hardware issue.
its probably a driver issue..your drive drivers are not installed properly i gues..try this.
go to control panel-hardware and sounds-devices and printer
now here check if your drive is showing.i probably guess it must b showing because you can see the disk in disk management.
so now right click and go to properties. go to hardware.in hardware go to sub-tab properties in lower right end.now go to driver tab and click on uninstall button. (the last one) ok now your external harddisk will be shown as unspecified. ok now remove your hard disk n again connect it and it will automatically install your drivers like when you connect it for the very 1st time..and now you are done.your hard disk will be shown in my computer and you can open it

try this and let me know if it worked for you :)

Goodtimer

Reputable
Feb 20, 2015
Though I had correct drivers installed, my external SSD had lost it's name. I proceeded to...

Open Start menu >> right-click "My Computer" >> select "Manage" >> double-click "Storage" >> double-click "Disk Management >> Select the necessary drive (mine was unnamed) >> right-click the partition on bottom half of window and select "Change drive letter and paths" >> Add drive letter