[SOLVED] Removal of case fan

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
Hi guys

I have a Nzxt H210i case where i have an EKWB A240 kit installed. The 240 rad i mounted in the front with a pull configuration.

I now want to get a waterblock for my EVGA RTX 2080 and the A240 kit can handle the GPU block, but i want to install an extra 120 rad at the back of the case (between CPU and GPU) with a push configuration for ekstra cooling.

However atm there is a third case fan at the top of the case, that sucks air in directly down to the MB. I want to remove that fan because it messes up with my tubings if i add an ekstra rad.

My question is now do it effect my cooling by much if i remove that top fan? I have a Nvme ssd installed but with a heatsink on (MB is a Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi)
The cpu is a Ryzen 5 3600x OC to 4.1ghz but hits temp in the mid 50c on load, due to the custom loop, so i'm not cancerned about the cpu/gpu temp, only the ram/ssd and the rest of the case.

Thanks
Jimmi

Solution
Yeah, I'm doubtful the B450-Pro has appropriate sensors to accurately measure VRM temps.
If you start to experience random throttling/stutters/freezes, then consider VRM temps. For now, you're probably fine.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
VRM cooling could be a concern too, if you're removing most of the airflow that goes directly over it.

The only way to know for sure, would be to test. You could remove that fan ahead of time, before making any other changes - see if there's any noticeable impact to temperatures &/or performance.

Jimmidk

Honorable
Jun 22, 2015
VRM cooling could be a concern too, if you're removing most of the airflow that goes directly over it.

The only way to know for sure, would be to test. You could remove that fan ahead of time, before making any other changes - see if there's any noticeable impact to temperatures &/or performance.

I did a Cinebench R20 test and a Heaven + gaming for 1 hour, in Cinebench R20 the VRM's hit 85c and i Heaven + gaming 58c.

Guess that's ok?

Thanks.