Removal of file payload[1].ani

I would like to install service pak 2 but believe that I need to first remove
a Trojan by the file name payload[1].ani and called Exploit-Anifile. The
Trojan was found by my Mcafee Viruscan Enterprise 7.0 but the software was
unable to delete the file. The file was placed in a Quarantine file. Using
windows explore I attempted to remove the file manually, and received the
message, "make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file
is not currently in use." I am at an impass can anybody help?

Hi gitteeyyup
to get rid of Trojans and worms i have found the following 2 free programs
are the quickest, easiest and most basic to use.
Adaware and sypbot!
You can get them at the following address's - if you dont like them you can
always uninstall them, make sure once you install them though you update them
before running them.

Trojans can usually not be deleted by an anti virus system :)
best of luck

Spybot search and destroy. Once you have downloaded it you will need to
install it to your computer (make sure you make a short cut to your desktop
for quick access to it) and if possible update it as well
http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

Ad Aware SE Personal. Make sure you install this to a handy location as well
and update this program as well (usually this program has a new update every
single day so please make sure you update it)
http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

"gitteeyyup" wrote:

> I would like to install service pak 2 but believe that I need to first remove
> a Trojan by the file name payload[1].ani and called Exploit-Anifile. The
> Trojan was found by my Mcafee Viruscan Enterprise 7.0 but the software was
> unable to delete the file. The file was placed in a Quarantine file. Using
> windows explore I attempted to remove the file manually, and received the
> message, "make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file
> is not currently in use." I am at an impass can anybody help?

Thanks, unfortunatly this file exploits a windows xp security gap. Neither
of the two programs removed the file. Sincere thanks for your help and
suggestions. Any other ideas are appreciated.

"gitteeyyup" <gitteeyyup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to install service pak 2 but believe that I need to first
>remove
> a Trojan by the file name payload[1].ani and called Exploit-Anifile. The
> Trojan was found by my Mcafee Viruscan Enterprise 7.0 but the software was
> unable to delete the file. The file was placed in a Quarantine file.
> Using
> windows explore I attempted to remove the file manually, and received the
> message, "make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the
> file
> is not currently in use." I am at an impass can anybody help?

Run the anti-vrus scan in safe mode.

or use MicroTrend Syscom Utility (Free)

1. Create a directory on drive 'c:\' called Trend.
2. Download the following two items.
Trend Sysclean Package
Download sysclean.com and save it in the directory 'c:\Trend'
..
Latest Trend Pattern Files
Download and save the Trend Pattern files by obtaining the ZIP file in
the directory 'c:\Trend'. For example, lpt265.zip. Extract the contents of
the ZIP file to the directory 'c:\Trend'. If you do not have unzipping
software, go to http://www.winzip.com.
3. Disable System Restore
4. Reboot your PC into Safe Mode.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315222
5. Using the Trend Sysclean utility (by double-clicking the sysclean.com in
the 'c:\Trend' directory), perform a full scan of your platform and
clean/delete any infectors/parasites found. A few cycles may be
needed.
6. Restart your PC and perform a 'final' full scan of your platform using
the Trend Sysclean utility.
7. Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences.
(Suggest 400 to 600 MB of disk space to be used).
8. Reboot your PC.
9. Create a new Restore Point. (Only in Windows ME and XP)

--
William