Removal of heatsink

JShaffer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2004
I'll start off by saying that I must be an idiot.

I could use some help/direction on removing the heatsink/fan from my Intel 3.2

Every other computer I've worked with, flip the two little bar things, unscrew a fan- pull off. No problem.

This one, I've tugged and yanked on the the point of the mobo (snap in) almost coming out of the case. Is there any kind of press tab or something that I'm not seeing? I just can't get the damn thing off ( I didn't apply any compound on installation)

Thanks,,
James

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't get the plastic frame loose from the plastic base eh? That's because it has one-way hooks, made for installation only, not removal. I have to use my pocket knife to pry the latches away from the base in order to unhook them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I was just doing a case change, so I had pleanty of room to remove the heatsink lockdown once the motherboard was out...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JShaffer

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2004
Well I have to swap out my mobo, so removing is a necessity.
Anyone point out where these hooks are and which direction they need to be placed? I'd really hate screwing around with a knife, but if thats my only recourse then I'll have to do it

-James

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are 3 plastic frames on the Intel coolers. One is mounted to the board, the other is the fan frame, and the third is a saddle thing with the levers that pushes the unit into the board. That has hooks on the inside edges that latch onto the outside of the board mounted part. If you move the levers to the loose position and gently pry the legs away from the board mounted part, it will unhook from that.