removal of "professional" on startup screen

Why does service pack 2 remove the word 'professional' from startup on xp
pro? i think that is ridiculous.

"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> does it really matter ???

"...i think that is ridiculous...." My sentiments exactly.

In news:BDD581A5-9196-4366-B197-E93699F9E25B@microsoft.com,
whocaresanyway <whocaresanyway@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Why does service pack 2 remove the word 'professional' from
> startup
> on xp pro? i think that is ridiculous.

For the same reason it removes the word "Home" from the start up
screen on Windows XP Home--because Microsoft prefers to have a
single screen for both versions.

What's ridiculous about it? I can't think of anything more
inconsequential to worry about.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:
>
> > does it really matter ???
> >
> "...i think that is ridiculous...." My sentiments exactly.

Do they leave the word "Home" on XP Home or leave you guessing?
--
Jim
"Remember, an amateur built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic."

wrote in news:BDD581A5-9196-4366-B197-E93699F9E25B@microsoft.com:
> Why does service pack 2 remove the word 'professional' from startup
> on xp pro? i think that is ridiculous.

If the *REAL* problem that you are complaining about is that you can no
longer identify which version of Windows XP is getting used then:

- Right-click on My Computer and look at Properties.

- Or run "winver" from Start -> Run.

The word professional, Home, Media center etc has been removed from all
versions of windows xp so that they all have the same look and feel.
Personally i feel it is ridiculous to remove the branding but Microsoft
think otherwise. I wouldn't say that removing the branding was actually an
improvement.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"whocaresanyway" <whocaresanyway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why does service pack 2 remove the word 'professional' from startup on xp
> pro? i think that is ridiculous.

Microsoft was too busy with new software to worry about the software that
we've already purchased.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:BDD581A5-9196-4366-B197-E93699F9E25B@microsoft.com,
whocaresanyway <whocaresanyway@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Why does service pack 2 remove the word 'professional' from startup
> on xp pro? i think that is ridiculous.

johnf

Or open Windows Explorer, Help, About Windows, it looks MUCH prettier &
should keep happy anyone who's freaking out :)

--

johnf

"johnf" <john_f@bigREMOVEpond.net.au>
wrote in news:ei6UG5AuEHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:
> Or open Windows Explorer, Help, About Windows, it looks MUCH prettier
> & should keep happy anyone who's freaking out :)

That duplicates my second suggestion. Both methods return the same
informational screen.

>> "whocaresanyway" <whocaresanyway@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in news:BDD581A5-9196-4366-B197-E93699F9E25B@microsoft.com:
>>> Why does service pack 2 remove the word 'professional' from startup
>>> on xp pro? i think that is ridiculous.
>>
>> If the *REAL* problem that you are complaining about is that you can
>> no longer identify which version of Windows XP is getting used then:
>>
>> - Right-click on My Computer and look at Properties.
>>
>> - Or run "winver" from Start -> Run.

johnf

I know, I just threw that in for those who aren't confident or familiar with
using a Run instruction.

--

johnf