Aug 26, 2021
Hi,

I have just purchased a laptop that is still in its box and does not have windows activated yet (I'll use the laptop for 3D modelling and cannot afford data loss).

The laptop comes with 2x 500 GBs NVMe SSDs that are set in RAID 0 (hardware in this case) to form a 1 TB array. I would like to remove the RAID and have each SSD on its own. However, this is my first rodeo and I am uncertain of many things:

1. Do I first activate windows before removing the RAID in the BIOS?

2. If I removed the RAID from the bios before I activate windows, will I lose the OS (windows) and the OS license key accordingly?

3. If I get the RAID removed successfully, How do I set up the 2 SSDs, set 1 SSD for OS and the other for storage? is there a better format?

4. If I set 1 SSD for the OS, would any backup I make later on be automatically be set on it? Will the applications I download be automatically put on it? should I partition it?

5. If I do not remove the RAID and activate the windows, would any backup I make be shared onto both SSDs (because it is in a RAID array)?, Should I even do this, am I on the right track?

6. What do you think is the best way to approach this RAID removal procedure (step by step wise)?
Would greatly appreciate any input.

Last edited:
Solution
I'd abandon RAID altogether, removing it in the BIOS.

(You can back up your data to any external hard drive with whatever frequency you see fit.)

Reset BIOS to defaults afterward should remove it from booting from 'Intel RAID'.

Boot from USB flash drive created with MS Media Creation Tool..

(Delete partitions shown from both 500 GB NVME drives, then choose one as OS destination for the install)

The other can be used for data/scratch storage...

If WIndows was already activated once with that mainboard, it will reactivate automatically. (Proceed with installation choosing 'I don't have product key', it will pick it up automatically later...)
I'd abandon RAID altogether, removing it in the BIOS.

(You can back up your data to any external hard drive with whatever frequency you see fit.)

Reset BIOS to defaults afterward should remove it from booting from 'Intel RAID'.

Boot from USB flash drive created with MS Media Creation Tool..

(Delete partitions shown from both 500 GB NVME drives, then choose one as OS destination for the install)

The other can be used for data/scratch storage...

If WIndows was already activated once with that mainboard, it will reactivate automatically. (Proceed with installation choosing 'I don't have product key', it will pick it up automatically later...)

Reactions: David 25
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. Do I first activate windows before removing the RAID in the BIOS?

2. If I removed the RAID from the bios before I activate windows, will I lose the OS (windows) and the OS license key accordingly?
Its advisable to at least boot into windows as its installed now and make sure its activated. then you can do whatever you like with install

3. If I get the RAID removed successfully, How do I set up the 2 SSDs, set 1 SSD for OS and the other for storage? is there a better format?

4. If I set 1 SSD for the OS, would any backup I make later on be automatically be set on it? Will the applications I download be automatically put on it? should I partition it?
3 that is normally how people do it for 2 drives - btw, at step 3, only have 1 ssd installed if you can, stops windows putting other partitions on any blank space it finds. It likes to share. It is painful if you later remove the other drive and windows won't boot.

4 not sure about backups, likely point at drive 2. All applications auto install to C unless you change location during install.
Windows will partition boot drive when you install it
6 see Mdd1963

Last edited:
Reactions: David 25