[SOLVED] Remove a file from desktop without deleting its contents

teris

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
On a new PC, I wanted to re-route the file folders (like Videos, Music, etc.) from my SSD (C drive) to my HDD. I went to Properties, then Location and Move. One of the folders I moved was the Desktop, which I probably should have left alone.

Now I have a folder filled with text documents on my D: drive as well as my Desktop. When I try to remove the file from my desktop, it moves the folder and its contents to the recycle bin AND deletes it from my D: drive. Ugh.

I also just realized that under C:Users, my name folder is missing and only the Public one is there. Can someone tell me how to fix this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
What size/make/model SSD?

Applications and WIndows has gotten really good lately.
I used to do that redirection thing, but no more.

Create a couple of folders on the HDD
MyDocs, MyPics, whatever.

Create a file in your preferred application.
Save As, and save to that folder on the HDD.
The next time you use that application, it will almost certainly default to pointing to that folder you used last.

This makes things much easier, when/if you need to redo the OS. No messing around with that redirection thing.

USAFRet

Titan
This is when you recover from the full drive backup you made before doing this.
Failing that, a System Restore point.

Once you get it fixed, don't do this again.
Windows and applications have gotten really good at multiple locations. There is little need to force redirect those things.

Reactions: teris

teris

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
This is when you recover from the full drive backup you made before doing this.
Failing that, a System Restore point.

Once you get it fixed, don't do this again.
Windows and applications have gotten really good at multiple locations. There is little need to force redirect those things.
I was able to do a system restore, thanks very much!

Question about your last paragraph: how do I set it up so that the Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music folders under This PC direct to the HDD rather than SSD? If I didn't do that, the SSD would fill up very quickly.

Thanks again!

USAFRet

Titan

The next time you use that application, it will almost certainly default to pointing to that folder you used last.

This makes things much easier, when/if you need to redo the OS. No messing around with that redirection thing.

Reactions: teris
Solution

teris

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks again for the reply!
s
The SSD is a Silicon Power 2TB NVMe M.2 PCIe.

Ok, so essentially just ignore the file folders listed under This PC? Is there a way to hide them so I don't have to look at a cluttered list of empty file folders?

Thank you very much for helping me.