Remove AMD stock fan

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Well today my PC stopped working, i turned it on again and noticed the cpu fan wasn't spinning, i'm trying to remove it but i can't, the lever is giving alot of resistance and i'm afraid of using too much strength and break something, is it supposed to be that hard to pull ?

it shouldnt be that hard to remove. is it the stock fan from the am2-am3+ platforms? if so just pull up and it should loosen the bracket and allow for removal of heatsink, if it is the am2-3 platform cooler and still in the case, slowly apply more force to remove it, maybe lube the lever with toweling under to not get on the board but im out of options lol

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

it's giving alot of resistance, the fan is the stock one that came with my Phenom II X6, i have to leave for a while and will be back in a hour.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

So i should apply that strength to pull it all the way ? It won't break anything ?

pull away as in the heatsink off the board? or still with the lever? i know after a bit the thermal paste and the cpu and heatsink stick together and usually when u attempt to pull out comes with the cpu as well, so if this is ur issue pull straight out lol

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Still at the lever, should i use strength to pull it all the way ?

I dont see how the lever is causing an issue lol the lever is locked to keep down, and when u attempt to pull up and loosen the lock its rlly hard? usually something thats pressured down when u push/pull up usually easily moves lol srry i just dont see how its doing what ur saying lol I guess if u have to apply more force, just do it gradually

Use a vise grips of u have some to lock onto the lever and get more leverage and use less foce

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Well the lever is requiring me to use some strength, it's demanding more strength as i keep pulling it, so i'm kinda afraid i might break something if i use all the strength to pull it all the way.

well if u need it off then ur going to have to get it to move to giver is all i can say lol without me or someone being their to help is quite an issue lol maybe posting a pic will help i have no idea anymore lol

If u dont wanna break the board or something get something to put the metal bracket lol then just replace the cooler with an aftermarket one lol

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Here i took a pic:

foto0337yc.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
According to the picture, the lever is already in the un-locked position. The cooler should be ready to come off the CPU. Push down on the cooler a bit and slip the bracket off both sides of the retention bracket nubs.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Yes you were right ! I managed to take it off but i have another question, Is it posssible to disassemble the fan from the heat sink so i can clean it ? And the thermal paste is on the fan and on a solid state, like it was a coat of paint on it, there isn't much on the processor itself, maybe that's why the processor fried ?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the fan simply un-clips from the heat sync. You can clean the surfaces with isopropyl alcohol if you don't want to invest in cleaner made specifically for the task. But you will need to pick up some thermal paste if you ever use the cooler again.

TRENDING THREADS