remove corrupted windows from hard drive

only time i used norton goback, power outage stopped it. windows file
corrupted. neither windows or goback will do a thing. windows says it's
missing some file. so does goback. computer booted, but only showed
background photo.
bought new (bigger) hard drive. took old one out, installed new as single
master, put windows on it. THEN changed jumpers and put old drive(wd40gb)
back on as slave, new one (wd120gb)as master. (need the files from that old
drive. i know, i know, back up everything... i didn't, ok? i am now!)
sooooo... wd1200 is boot volume and shows up everywhere, primary partition,
healthy, system, nfts, et al.... BUT, wd40gb shows up in disk management
ONLY...as healthy, active, also indicated as primary partition. nfts. in
'device manager' it says, this is working properly. it also says 'partition
style : master boot record"... is this the problem? the computer cannot read
it cos the windows files are corrupted? or cos there are TWO master boot
records?

i've tried multiple combinations of attaching (cable select jumper
settings, master/slave jumper settings) (also old hard drive alone in safe
mode, old hard drive as slave in safe mode, blabbity bla bla bla.)
the only choice i get in disk management is 'delete partition'. can't change
the drive letter or do anything else. however it does say somewhere that the
disk has 60% space to use. so there IS info on there, i just can't get AT it.
it seems i need to try and obliterate the windows files. but i don't think
that can be done without obliterating the whole disk. ?

anyway i'm an artist and a little problem solver type so i wanted to see
what i could find out and of course possibly avoid paying someone else to do
it.

Philo

"mirabai" <mirabai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> only time i used norton goback, power outage stopped it. windows file
> corrupted. neither windows or goback will do a thing. windows says it's
> missing some file. so does goback. computer booted, but only showed
> background photo.
> bought new (bigger) hard drive. took old one out, installed new as single
> master, put windows on it. THEN changed jumpers and put old drive(wd40gb)
> back on as slave, new one (wd120gb)as master. (need the files from that
> old
> drive. i know, i know, back up everything... i didn't, ok? i am now!)
> sooooo... wd1200 is boot volume and shows up everywhere, primary
> partition,
> healthy, system, nfts, et al.... BUT, wd40gb shows up in disk management
> ONLY...as healthy, active, also indicated as primary partition. nfts. in
> 'device manager' it says, this is working properly. it also says
> 'partition
> style : master boot record"... is this the problem? the computer cannot
> read
> it cos the windows files are corrupted? or cos there are TWO master boot
> records?

<snip>

recently worked on a drive with "go back"
installed.
for some reason XP would *not* read the drive.
for some odd reason however win2k *could* read the drive.
so if you cannot uninstall "go back" due to drive corruption.
see if you can find someone who uses win2k
and slave the drive to their machine.

Just curious, did you try max blast to try and copy info to a specified
folder on your master? It's free and i did this on my samsung which was
unread by windowsxp and corrupt. Max blast somehow retrieved a good
portion of files. It will also tell you jumper settings and more. It's
free. After you install it, you will have an option to view hd's and
copy a hd or files to you master d.

--
PCDaddyPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access