Question Remove disks from JBOD without losing data?

Mar 23, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have two SSDs and two HDDs in an Adaptec 6805 card, configured as single/individual drives in JBOD mode, so Windows can see them as regular volumes. How can I properly remove them without losing or corrupting data? Is this possible or my only option is to backup, format, and copy data back?

Backstory: several years ago, I bought the Adaptec card to expand the SATA ports on my motherboard. I did not use it for RAID. Since I'm switching computers now, I no longer need the Adaptec card and want to use the disks connected directly to the new motherboard.

Cheers!

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone,

I have two SSDs and two HDDs in an Adaptec 6805 card, configured as single/individual drives in JBOD mode, so Windows can see them as regular volumes. How can I properly remove them without losing or corrupting data? Is this possible or my only option is to backup, format, and copy data back?

Backstory: several years ago, I bought the Adaptec card to expand the SATA ports on my motherboard. I did not use it for RAID. Since I'm switching computers now, I no longer need the Adaptec card and want to use the disks connected directly to the new motherboard.

Cheers!
I might suggest a test first. Copy one JBOD volume then test moving. If it doesn't work, then no loss of data. If it works, then move them all.
If the data is important, it should be backed up, independent of this move.

Reactions: PeteGC
Mar 23, 2023
Thank you guys!

Would a quick format on Windows restore the disks to their original state or do I need to take any extra steps on the Adaptec card? Like delete JBOD? Secure erase?

I might suggest a test first. Copy one JBOD volume then test moving. If it doesn't work, then no loss of data. If it works, then move them all.
If the data is important, it should be backed up, independent of this move.

Will do! I'm backing everything up before moving the disks to the new computer.