Remove fan from ASUS 9400GT

capdog

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hi everyone! I have an ASUS 9400GT and the little fan is so whiny (high-pitched) and spins so fast that it makes a huge noise, by far the loudest fan in the case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-EN9400GT-DI-512MD2-Interface/dp/B001N7ADB0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259707367&sr=1-2

So I disconnected it. I don't play 3D games on my computer or do any 3D work, the most load the GPU will go through is MMX video encoding (which I think uses GPU, with ffmpeg, no?)

Does anyone think this will break my motherboard / CPU if it fails due to overheating? I don't care if the card goes, I just don't want it taking down my whole system. I am loath to spend money on expensive cooling fans for a cheap card, when for an extra few quid I could get the exact same card again with a massive heatsink i.e. the "silent" version:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-EN9400GT-SILENT-512MD2-Interface/dp/B001QSUF5K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259707367&sr=1-4

The fact that this silent version even exists gives me comfort - surely it's just the exact same card with the same components, just a larger heatsink and no fan?? Then I should be ok to just run my existing card with no fan, as long as I don't push it for hours with no ventilation in the case.

It's been ok so far but it's also been 1 degree in London. :D

Anybody have any opinions or experience on this?

Thanks!

ill b ben

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
it shouldnt dmg your motherboard etc, if it overheats it probably just crashes..

and i wouldnt b surprised that even without the fan on active and the gpu on 100% load it wont overheat. Just a matter of decent airflow rly.

and your right about the silent edition with the heatsink, simply bigger (and even those often require a somewhat decent airflow)

had a 8600gt silent for a while reached 90 degrees C easy... Until i just bought a cheap 80mm fan and some cable ties. *wich lowerd it to 55-60ish under load)

But long story short, just check the temps with the fan both on and off, use gpuz for example and make it burn with furmark,

Hf