Remove file at boot?

I need to remove a file at boot because after the boot process it is a real
ah heck. There is a good application for this I had it once but can't recall
name. I think it was posted here a month or so ago. Thanks.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

Philo

George Hester wrote:
> I need to remove a file at boot because after the boot process it is a real
> ah heck. There is a good application for this I had it once but can't recall
> name. I think it was posted here a month or so ago. Thanks.

don't know which post you saw...
but you can take msconfig from an XP installation
and transplant it into your win2k.

it's any easy way to take apps out of startup

without msconfig... it's not really too big of a deal though...
you just need to manually take the app out of startup

Thanks. Actually I want the file removed and no it is not in Startup. It
is a DRM protected Media File which cannot be removed and is sending the
user to a Internet Site. It is a trojan.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> George Hester wrote:
> > I need to remove a file at boot because after the boot process it is a
real
> > ah heck. There is a good application for this I had it once but can't
recall
> > name. I think it was posted here a month or so ago. Thanks.
> >

> don't know which post you saw...
> but you can take msconfig from an XP installation
> and transplant it into your win2k.
>
> it's any easy way to take apps out of startup
>

> without msconfig... it's not really too big of a deal though...
> you just need to manually take the app out of startup

First you'll need to Control Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy
Recovery console:"Allow floppy copy and access to all drives/folders" set to
enabled

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks. At
the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows 2000
installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %systemroot% or %windir%

Then from the recovery console command line;
SET allowallpaths = TRUE

to gain access to all folders and try deleting from here.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"George Hester" wrote:
| Thanks. Actually I want the file removed and no it is not in Startup. It
| is a DRM protected Media File which cannot be removed and is sending the
| user to a Internet Site. It is a trojan.
|
| --
| George Hester
| _______________________________
| "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
| > George Hester wrote:
| > > I need to remove a file at boot because after the boot process it is a
| real
| > > ah heck. There is a good application for this I had it once but can't
| recall
| > > name. I think it was posted here a month or so ago. Thanks.
| > >

| > don't know which post you saw...
| > but you can take msconfig from an XP installation
| > and transplant it into your win2k.
| >
| > it's any easy way to take apps out of startup
| >

| > without msconfig... it's not really too big of a deal though...
| > you just need to manually take the app out of startup

Cool David. SET allowallpaths TRUE don't recall ever seeing that in the
Help. Very nice. I don't know if the user will be able to follow those
directions but I can and that is very good to know.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

You're welcome.

--

George Hester wrote:

> I need to remove a file at boot because after the boot process it is a real
> ah heck. There is a good application for this I had it once but can't recall
> name. I think it was posted here a month or so ago. Thanks.

Three different tools for this (Killbox, CopyLock and MoveOnBoot) are
mentioned here:

Deleting stubborn files
http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php

> --

A side note: A sig separator is supposed to have a space behind it,
like this: "-- ", the one you use is missing this space.

> George Hester
> _______________________________

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

MoveOnBoot is simplicity itself and is excellent.

--
Walterius

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> George Hester wrote:
>
> > I need to remove a file at boot because after the boot process it is a
real
> > ah heck. There is a good application for this I had it once but can't
recall
> > name. I think it was posted here a month or so ago. Thanks.
>
> Three different tools for this (Killbox, CopyLock and MoveOnBoot) are
> mentioned here:
>
> Deleting stubborn files
> http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php
>

> > --
>
> A side note: A sig separator is supposed to have a space behind it,
> like this: "-- ", the one you use is missing this space.
>

> > George Hester

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

The reall application to do this is Killbox.

http://www.subratam.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&It
emid=41

--
George Hester