Question Remove HDMI from ROG-3080Ti

Dec 11, 2021
Hi, I have the ASUS ROG Strix LC 3080Ti OC , I removed the "cooler" to replace it with an EK Classic , but the secondary hdmi port sticks up way above the water block , witch is a problem because it's going in a 7.5 liter case and needs to be flush across the top .
I do not plan on ever using a second screen this is a living room htpc connected to a TV , and I'm not getting a different card , that said my question is ,
Can I remove the secondary hdmi , will the card know, and put out errors/warnings? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While I can't verify, I suspect the GPU's firmware will perform some diagnostic checks and could throw an error if all ports aren't present.

Up to you, but bricking a very expensive GPU is a very likely outcome here. I don't recommend this path.

It is possible to modify the cooler you are trying to use? Use a Dremel to grind a portion away to allow for a better fit?

Dec 11, 2021
Update , More confused then ever now. Asus tech on chat said don't do it , it won't post . Asus tech on the phone said be careful, but no there's no firmware looking for the port , if I wanted to I could disable the port first then remove. So now what ?Also I did call my local custom "gaming pc builder " who said he's done it , no problem go for it (of course it's not his $ tho)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Update , More confused then ever now. Asus tech on chat said don't do it , it won't post . Asus tech on the phone said be careful, but no there's no firmware looking for the port , if I wanted to I could disable the port first then remove. So now what ?Also I did call my local custom "gaming pc builder " who said he's done it , no problem go for it (of course it's not his $ tho)
I think you answered your own question, it is your $$$.

Up to you. Good luck, still not recommended.

Dec 11, 2021
Update, in case anyone wants to know. I removed the secondary hdmi. After removing the shroud, and plastic mount , I attempted to just fold the top hdmi over instead of desoldering (pins where really close to primary hdmi ) , Half the wire leads just snapped (I was very careful) so I just ripped the rest of the port off barbarian style. But it does work . I didn't put it through any test , just on a bench for a few minutes, doesn't seem to be any issues (YET )
Single slot ROG3080Ti..

Reactions: drivinfast247

TRENDING THREADS