[SOLVED] remove push-pins from ARCTIC FREEZER 7 PRO REV2 cooler?

tzitzikas

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Hi. I have an ARCTIC FREEZER 7 PRO REV2 cooler https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-7-pro.html and I would like to remove the cooler to replace the motherboard. I had tried to pull the black pins but I can't and I don't want to pull them with extra force, because I am afraid to broke them? any advise or tutorial? I don't want the solution to press them from the opposite direction, because I must install my old cpu in the new motherboard, after I update the bios to support the new cpu. So it is not a solution to unistall the motherboard every time to change the cpu. thank you in advance!

Solution
If you want an "every time" solution, get a different case with a cutout in the motherboard tray so you can easily access the push pins from the backside in order to push them out.

Otherwise, your options are either to pull harder while leveraging the push pins away from the CPU cooler or remove the motherboard. If you are changing the CPU and need the old one installed only temporarily in order to update the BIOS, then simply build the system with minimal hardware, just motherboard, power supply, CPU, CPU cooler and memory, on the top of the box the motherboard came in so that you can easily remove the CPU cooler afterwards and THEN install the whole thing in the case. Just like bench testing...
If you want an "every time" solution, get a different case with a cutout in the motherboard tray so you can easily access the push pins from the backside in order to push them out.

Otherwise, your options are either to pull harder while leveraging the push pins away from the CPU cooler or remove the motherboard. If you are changing the CPU and need the old one installed only temporarily in order to update the BIOS, then simply build the system with minimal hardware, just motherboard, power supply, CPU, CPU cooler and memory, on the top of the box the motherboard came in so that you can easily remove the CPU cooler afterwards and THEN install the whole thing in the case. Just like bench testing.

Solution
If you are afraid to do what is required or you think you might break something, then take it to a shop and have them update the BIOS for you. Many places only charge about 15-20 bucks to do that.

Or do as I said before and built it outside the case so you can easily get to the back of the motherboard in order to remove the push pins by squeezing the ends and pushing on them.