[SOLVED] Remove stock thermal paste

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Hi

I would like to remove stock thermal paste from cooler (pump) and processor.

Which is the best way to do it and which products?

Solution
I think I applied the new paste in an expected way. How do we know that the paste was spreaded in a good way? Because the cooler covers the CPU and we don't see anything after CPU and pump are "connected"... I would like to know if the paste exceeded the squared shape of the CPU.

Make five small drops, four at the corners and one at the center, the paste will be evenly distributed under pressure from the cooler.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
So, alcohol with 70 % or more than 90 %? Different opinions but both are differente products. One or the other?

Cotton swabs I have... And "hospital/nurse" compresses, do they work?

The same material for the AIO Cooler Pump and for the processor? I have Kraken Z73 cooler...

kanewolf

Titan
So, alcohol with 70 % or more than 90 %? Different opinions but both are differente products. One or the other?

Cotton swabs I have... And "hospital/nurse" compresses, do they work?

The same material for the AIO Cooler Pump and for the processor? I have Kraken Z73 cooler...
Either concentration of alcohol will work. 90% dries faster.
I don't know if I would use a compress. I would probably use paper towels before that and a coffee filter before paper towel. The key is just to keep lint off.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
No I mean fibers from the cleaning implement. You don't want fibers from the cleaning towel to be laying on the heatspreader or the heatsink. Those fibers disrupt the perfect smoothness which is what is desired. That provides the best heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink.

So, maybe cotton swabs and more than 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, if I can find it... Is it OK for both pump and processor?

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
I think I applied the new paste in an expected way. How do we know that the paste was spreaded in a good way? Because the cooler covers the CPU and we don't see anything after CPU and pump are "connected"... I would like to know if the paste exceeded the squared shape of the CPU.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021

Make five small drops, four at the corners and one at the center, the paste will be evenly distributed under pressure from the cooler.

Solution