Question remove system ssd for cloning in another pc

edjal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I have purchased a HP omen with 128gb M.2 128GB ssd and 1tb sata hard drive. The ssd is system drive. I want to remove 128gb ssd and replace w 256gb Samsung M.2nvme ssd.
I also have a desktop pc setup with 256gb sata ssd as system disc. This desktop has IRST and raid 10 array. The 256gb system ssd is not part of raid array. Can I remove sata ssd from desktop and install in laptop sata hd slot in order to clone widows 10 to new Samsung 256gb M.2 nvme without first making bios changes in desktop pc before drive removal?

USAFRet

Titan
I have purchased a HP omen with 128gb M.2 128GB ssd and 1tb sata hard drive. The ssd is system drive. I want to remove 128gb ssd and replace w 256gb Samsung M.2nvme ssd.
I also have a desktop pc setup with 256gb sata ssd as system disc. This desktop has IRST and raid 10 array. The 256gb system ssd is not part of raid array. Can I remove sata ssd from desktop and install in laptop sata hd slot in order to clone widows 10 to new Samsung 256gb M.2 nvme without first making bios changes in desktop pc before drive removal?
Test it.

Power OFF
Disconnect that 256GB SATA SSD
Power UP
Does it boot correctly?

Disregard the above.

Going from a 128GB NVMe drive to a 256GB NVMe drive in the laptop does not really need that 256GB SATA drive in the middle of the process.
You can do this with an Image, instead of an actual clone. And this is actually safer.

We can go through the actual procedure if you want.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
An Image, rather than cloning. And ignore anything to do with the desktop and its drive.

You have:
128GB NVMe and 1TB HDD
Laptop

You want:
256GB NVMe and 1TB HDD, in the same laptop.

Limiting factor - a single m.2 port for those drives.

Obtain a USB stick, 4GB or larger.
Install Macrium Reflect. The free version works.
Run Macrium, and create a Rescue USB. You'll use this later to boot from.
Create a folder on the HDD, name it whatever you choose.
Run Macrium, and select all partitions on the SSD.
Click on Image this drive, and tell it about the folder you created on the HDD. Wait for it to finish. This results in a single file called <something>.mrimage
Physically swap the drives...remove the 128 and insert the 256.
Power OFF, and boot from the Rescue USB you created earlier
Go to the Recovery function, and tell it where the Image is you created, and what drive to recover to (the 256GB drive)
Go, and wait for it to finish.

Done.
That works.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks so much for your informative reply. I really appreciate it. Do you mean install to the laptop HDD?
Not "install", but make an Image.
The entire C drive (all partitions) is encapsulated in a single file on the HDD.

It wil result in a file that looks like this:
TSjVCaf.png

edjal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
when I finish the mrimg is in envelope on Drive (HDD) shortcut on desktop Im guessing its the program files and a my backup on usb drive. Boot attempt from usb gives message no os on to boot from. Is the mrimg supposed to be in the usb drive instead of on HDD? during original install should I click run or install. I just dont know how to navigate this software. where do I run or install to 128 SSD, HDD, or usb?

Last edited:

edjal

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
With your help I finally was able to back up and retore to 256gb ssd but after restore in THIS PC the 256gb ss shows as 126gb. Is there a fix for this that you are aware of?

USAFRet

Titan
OK.
Since the Unallocated portion is not right next to the C partition, I'd recommend a 3rd party tool to manipulate and merge those.

Minitool

TRENDING THREADS