Remove w10 from a drive

redbourn

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
hi,

I just bought two SSD drives and installed Win 10 on the 250gb one.

I don't know what happened (what I did!) but when I opened the SSD 500gb W10 got installed there too.

I didn't install any programs on the 250gb - So how do I safely remove Windows from it.

open

open

Thank you.

Are you able to boot windows from the 500 GB drive without the 250 or any other drive attached to the computer ? If so, then boot into windows 10, right click the 250 GB drive in My PC or wherever its found, and select format, a quick format will do. This will eliminate all data on the drive but leave the partition scheme and file system so you can store stuff there.

If the 500 will not boot by itself, then you will have to remove the 250 or disable it, and any other drive attached, and install windows to the 500.

redbourn

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

redbourn

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

After midnight here so I will give it a try tomorrow.

I'm using the 500gb right now and it now has a lot of program installed on it.

Thanks for the help,

Michael

P.S. How about if I 'hide' the 250mb ?

redbourn

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

Thanks for the reply.

Have been working with PCs since the mid 90's and am very comfortable with software.

But like many users I have almost no experience with hardware. Once changed a modem and once a fan.

So embarrassing as it is, I have to confess that I'm nervous about disconnecting all the drives. Or nervous about reconnecting them.

Will do if I have no choice!

Maybe these two additional screen grabs will share more light.

The reason that a previous version of windows showed is because a dealer installed the two new drives and more ram.

He put his version of Windows on the PC to show that it was all working. Didn't want his version because it was in Portuguese.

Thanks,

Michael

view

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1p0qaElZ_HCMVP5i3MOQKH5ENjL8J1q/view?usp=

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GCSO5SuvHm-6T2ur1GeZ052Z0X-BOOai/view?usp=sharing

USAFRet

Titan
Criminally incompetent "dealer". Don't go to that person ever again. Not even to change a lightbulb.
Installing his OS for "testing" has screwed things up.

You, or someone, will have to actually disconnect some things so that we can get to the bottom of what is going on.

redbourn

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

Well he wanted to show me it was all working but would have been better if he told me to wipe the disk before installing my Windows..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZZ5xUypSTbIL6O72s8BawcQ8DTImfEZj/view?usp=sharing

Naming convention of drives is really confusing there. :)
You call drive D: - "F:" and
drive G: - "DRIVE_C".

You're currently booting from Disk 2 500GB SSD. Bootloder is on this drive too. But you want to boot from 250GB drive. Right?
The problem is, you can't boot from 250GB drive, because it doesn't have a bootloader.

You have to do these steps:
  • 1. Shrink 250GB partition by 500MB
    2. Create a new partition in freed up space (primary, active, ntfs, drive letter K: )
    3. create bootloader files on K:
    • bcdboot F:\windows /s K:
    4.Boot into BIOS and change boot priority, so 250GB drive is first.
    5. Boot into Windows. Now drive letter C: should be on 250GB drive.
Post screenshot from Disk Management after this. It should be safe to clean windows from 500GB drive after this.